Wingate AOL and SMTP...

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate AOL and SMTP...

Postby JamesNorris » Oct 04 03 12:40 am

OK, I have 2 e-mail accounts, one from hotmail, and the other from my university. It appears that my university doesn't allow connections to be made to the SMTP server from outside the university (even if I log onto the server!) as I am using AOL I cannot provide another SMTP address to the Outlook XP e-mail account to allow me to send e-mail from my university e-mail address. (since AOL doesn't use SMTP :o( harsh!) and hotmail is out of the question, as they don't have an SMTP sendmail address I can get to.

As a result, I cannot send any e-mail from my university e-mail account on either my client or server PCs (two PCs WinXP and Wingate (with ENS and VPN on server, just XP on client, connected via Cat 5e crossover cable)

Is there any way I could configure Wingate's SMTP server to be used to send e-mail from my university address (by adding a wingate SMTP server address into both my client and server PCs in Outlook?)

If I've not made sence just ask me where you're confsed, I've been sent around the houses by everyone today, my university say it's AOL's fault, AOL say it's my university (and my network adminstrator's fault) except I'm the network admin, and I'm only 19, still learning I'm afraid

Thanks

James
JamesNorris

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 1:05 am

WinGate's SMTP server will deliver directly to the end-host that hosts the domain of the address you are sending to, so you don't need your university's SMTP server to do that for you (that is all it would be doing).

Simply send to WinGate's mail server, and let it do the delivery. You don't need to configure any domains or anything in WinGate (I don't think) if it receives the mail on an interface that is marked as internal/trusted, then it will relay it on to the end user's mail server.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby JamesNorris » Oct 05 03 2:24 am

Thanks alot for that, just one question, what do I have to put in the SMTP server box in outlook on my server, would putting 192.168.0.1 work, or would I need to do something else?

Thanks again.

James
JamesNorris

Postby olaf.krause » Oct 05 03 6:05 am

@adrian:
Here what I found in the online help:
---------
How to Deliver - Choose from the following options:

· Deliver Directly – connections will be made to individual domains to deliver their mail (this is an ideal setting for a LAN – check this if you are running the Server Mode or if you have a full-time connection to the internet).

· Use Gateway – use another upstream server e.g. IP or domain name (this will often be your ISP). Define this gateway in ‘
Gateway Host’ field e.g mail.isp.com

· Use Gateway for Undeliverable Mail – the mail server tries to make deliver in the first instance but, if unsuccessful, will pass it on to the defined gateway to try to deliver.

Note: The last two options are preferable if you do not have a full-time connection to the internet.

© Qbik New Zealand Limited 2001
-----------
If I understood James correctly he has no permanent internet connection (working outside uni with AOL as ISP) so he should use a gateway (if I trust the onlinehelp). Did I understand something wrong?

Best regards

Olaf
olaf.krause
WinGate Master

Postby adrien » Oct 05 03 1:03 pm

sounds like a couple more features would be useful for mail delivery

1. send mail when connected by modem
2. support AUTH for sending to gateway

both of these should be relatively easy

Actually I think 1. is supported already, kinda - you can set whether or not to dial, and you can tell WinGate how often to process the outbound queue

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate