IP Conflict

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

IP Conflict

Postby MarcMc » Oct 04 03 4:04 am

I just replaced a NT 4.0, Wingate 4.5 server with Windows 2000 & Wingate 5.0.7. After shutting the NT server down completely, I setup the windows 2000 server with the same Public IP addresses & loaded the umpteen MS patches (rebooting several times). Once I got the win2000 server patched up, I loaded Wingate, rebooted, & immediately got an IP Conflict. I'm running 3 NICs... 1 private, 2 public (No DHCP). I only get the conflict on 1 of the public IPs. I know without question that the only machine that had ever used this address is off the network, shut down, & stashed in the corner of my server room. I did not get the conflict until Wingate was installed, & no other changes since last reboot. Any idea what may be causing this? It hasn't seemed to have affected anything, but still concerns me.

Thanks
Marc
MarcMc

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 4:14 am

We have seen this in the past sometimes where the OS reports a conflict with a MAC address that is actually the address of one of the cards on itself.

Normally IP conflict detection on Windows is done by performing an ARP lookup for the IP address the machine is about to assume - if it finds another machine makes a response to the ARP query (used to look up the ethernet address for a given IP address), then it assumes that its IP address is in conflict with the machine that answered the query.

Our network driver does nothing to ARP but snoop on it to learn IPs, and occasionally make requests, but it makes no replies, which is why I always found this issue very difficult to explain, neither have we ever seen it in testing.

It shouldn't create too many problems, since normally what happens is the other machine gets its IP address disabled, and since there isn't one, there is nothing to disable.

You could however try downloading the 5.0.8 version we just released. It is available on our website at www.wingate.com (if that gets redirected to Deerfield.com, then try www.netpatrol.com)

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate