Win98 SE trouble installing WinGate 4.5.1 and 5.0.7

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Win98 SE trouble installing WinGate 4.5.1 and 5.0.7

Postby Stuart Gammon » Oct 06 03 3:33 am

I'm having some trouble installing WinGate. I have tried two versions - 4.5.1 (supplied by a friend) and 5.0.7 (downloaded from the deerfield.com website).

In both cases, the installation appears to run OK until I get a pop-up MS-DOS message saying:

This program is set to run in MS-DOS mode and cannot run while other programs are running. All other programs will close if you choose to continue.

Do you wish to continue?

- If I reply "Yes", the computer closes down and reboots in MS-DOS mode, shows a 'Bad command or file name' message and reboots back into Windows.

- If I reply "No" installation continues, but I suspect there is something missing! In fact I can't then get the WinGate Engine to start up, so obviously (?) the installation has failed.

Can you help, please?

Thanks
Stuart Gammon
Stuart Gammon

Postby adrien » Oct 06 03 9:31 am

never heard of WinGate doing that - you sure it isn't some other application that is doing that on your machine? Maybe a virus?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby Stuart Gammon » Oct 06 03 9:42 am

OK - Sorry for all the trouble - I've just fixed the problem.

I searched the internet and found a similar fix for Windows ME - it seems the .pif file for MS-DOS (command.pif in C:\WINDOWS) had an incorrect setting. To fix it I had to:

- Find the command.pif file using Windows Explorer
- Right click and select properties
- Go to the Program tab, and click the Advanced button
- Deselect the 'MS-DOS mode' check box

Somehow / sometime this had been changed and was forcing MS-DOS programs to run in stand-alone mode (rather han a window) by rebooting.
Stuart Gammon
Stuart Gammon

Postby adrien » Oct 06 03 9:46 am

Ah I get it now - it was running a dos program during the install to stop the engine if it was running already.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate