wingate problems

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

wingate problems

Postby requena » Oct 09 03 8:06 pm

Hello, I am testing the 5.0.7, an now the 5.0.9 and I find this 2 problems.
I work only with proxy, ens is disabled.
First. Is very frecuent in the file download the corruption of the file (example) if you try to download the last version of nero burning rom selecting the location US, the file is always corrupted, if y compare the same file downloaded without wingate the diference is at the begining of the file that is included this (the file is edited with notepad):
‹Ï‹x€A ¡=A èÏ, ¡L A HTTP/1.0 200 Document Follows
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:15:19 GMT
Server: WinGate Engine
Content-Type: application/octet-stream
Content-Length: 22059726

in the correct download, you can't read anything with comprensible words, all are caracters.
This is only an example becouse is very frecuent.

second problem. I set the cache to 1 day for all, (remember that y work only with proxy), but not work ok, the pages are not updated until you don't press refresh. If the number of days are pased, the pages are not updated.

Sorry for my EnglisH

Juan Carlos
BARCELONA (SPAIN)
requena

Postby adrien » Oct 09 03 8:58 pm

Are you running AntiVirus?

It is possible that the file has a virus and is being quarantined. In these cases, WinGate does not send the rest of the file through to the browser, so as not to transmit the virus to the user.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby requena » Oct 10 03 12:33 am

In the example that i post is a file without a virus, from the original web of NERO (www.ahead.de). And is the same in the other cases.
I receive the file complete. the problem is that is a littel bigger, 100 bytes more or less, and is for the text that wingate add at the beggining of the file.
Thank's in advance.
requena

Postby adrien » Oct 10 03 12:36 am

OK, that looks like the beginning chunk of data is being missed.

Which web browser are you using? We haven't had reports of anything like this before...
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby requena » Oct 10 03 2:14 am

The explorer is Explorer 6, but in other computer with explorer 5.5 have the same problem.
the computer with wingate is windows 2000 sp4.
the conexion to internet is ADSL 2 Mb.
I can see that the problem is when the file download is slow like 40kb/s when the file download is like 150kb/s no problem.
but downloading the same file in the computer where wingate is instaled, and direct to internet at the same speed (40kb) is no problem.

thanks
requena

Postby adrien » Oct 10 03 2:59 am

OK, I will have a look at the web proxy...

I assume you are only using the WWW Proxy to connect? Or are you using ENS/NAT?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby requena » Oct 10 03 4:05 am

only proxy, the ens is not installed.

thank's
requena

Postby requena » Oct 10 03 4:22 am

I can see in wingate that the files are downloaded by the FTP proxy server. I don't know if the files downloaded by http have the same problem.

thanks
requena

Postby ChrisH » Oct 10 03 4:32 am

Are you using the antivirus plug-in on the WWW and FTP proxies? Check by going to WWW or FTP service properties and clicking on Plug-ins. If it is enabled for receiving data, disable it and try downloading file(s) again. I have seen this solve some problems for me.
Chris H.
ChrisH
WinGate Master

Postby requena » Oct 10 03 7:39 pm

Is imposible to disable the antivirus from the FTP server, when I try to do, the gatekeeper disapears and when i reenter, the signal of activate is marked again. Now i am using 5.0.10 version.

thanks
requena

Postby adrien » Oct 11 03 4:43 pm

OK, I will have a look at this.

if you aren't using the ENS, then the only way the client WWW browsers can do FTP is through the WWW proxy (or the SOCKS server) anyway, so taking the AV off the FTP server won't help anyway.

So that means the history file is showing requests like ftp://some.server/resource.whatever ?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby requena » Oct 13 03 7:57 pm

Yes, in the example of nero the history says:
ftp://ftp.us.nero.com/nero60019.exe

thanks
requena

Postby adrien » Oct 13 03 8:05 pm

OK, that means that it is an FTP request through the WWW Proxy, since the FTP proxy has a different log syntax, the history entries would look different.

This looks like a problem with FTP support through the WWW Proxy - nothing has changed there for a while but there could still be a problem

A quick solution to this would be to go to your browsers and set their proxy configuration

If you delete the entry for the FTP proxy, and enter one for a SOCKS server, then it should use the WinGate SOCKS server for FTP.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby requena » Oct 13 03 9:56 pm

ok thanks.

And the problem for the cache?? for example now I have a page www.telepolis.com and I can see in the page the date 9/10/03 with the news for the date 9/10/03 if i click refresh the page is updates to today but tomorrow wil be the same with date 13/10/03.
in the parameters of the cache I put 1 in the two parameters of re-cheking days.
requena

Postby requena » Oct 14 03 9:50 pm

I make more test about the cache.
If I disable the cache, (unchequing the 4 check points) the problem is the same. All is ok if I manualy delete the cache directory. after delete the content of the cache directory, I can see the updated page.

Thank's
requena

Return to WinGate