Some Flakey Things

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Some Flakey Things

Postby DBeard » Oct 14 03 1:58 am

1st, the proxy server is very slow. We are putting through about 350kbs max during peak times. But access to the internet has signifigantly slowed since we started using Wingate. (keep in mind the specs of the machine are overkill for running the proxy.)

Hickups in service provided through the proxy, sometimes access to the internet will itermittenly be unavailable even as the proxy continues to function (from the control panel).

2nd, services that are set to never time out are dropping. For example SOCKS will drop Instant Messager application regularly.

3rd, the History will stop functioning. No update to the History tab will occur even as the activity page continues to show constant activity. Current resolution is to shut down the control panel and restart it.

4th, is there any way to pause the update to the history tab (when it is working)? It's nearly impossible to read as it constantly scrolls. I know I could read the log, but I'd prefer a pause feature. I noted that pausing the activity window has no effect on the history.
DBeard

Postby adrien » Oct 14 03 6:24 am

Hi

350kb should be a walk in the park for WinGate on a grunty machine, so there must be something holding it back... common things are going through the WWW Proxy, AV, maybe running another AV system on the computer?

Intermittent availability - this is often the symptom of an intermittent DNS resolution issue - would you be able to turn on debug logging on your DNS resolver and post me the file? WinGate's DNS resolver if it knows of more than one server sometimes has cause to try the other one... it will keep using one that is not responding for up to about 16 lookup requests before it decides it is incorrigible and deprecates it, however it gives it a parole every 2 minutes or so.

Are you running 5.0.10?

Sorry, no way to pause history, it is constantly updated by the display in GateKeeper...
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby DBeard » Oct 15 03 1:52 am

When I try to use the Autoupdate feature, it says to goto www.wingate.com/autoupdate at which I receive a 403 forbidden.

I downloaded from the download.php page instead. So I am now using the latest version.

Thus far one of the problems remains. Wingate Engine will spike to 99-100% CPU usage, effectively locking up the machine and disallowing internet access.

You mentioned something about DNS, but I don't understand what you are asking for.

Thanks for you help.
DBeard

Postby VreebieS » Oct 19 03 3:14 pm

Regarding the history issue, deleting the history file in the WinGate installation directory will make it works again..
VreebieS

Return to WinGate