Wingate 5.0.7 POP3 Proxy Server timeouts

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate 5.0.7 POP3 Proxy Server timeouts

Postby SJAndrew » Oct 14 03 7:14 am

I have Wingtae 5.0.7 running for several clients. I have only 3 services running:

- WWW Proxy Server
- POP3 Proxy Server
- SMTP Proxy Server

The problem I have is that any time one client in particular has a large e-mail (usually with attachments above 500KB), the e-mail client (Outlook 2000) will show a fault saying the server has timed out. I have checked the settings for the POP3 Proxy server, and I have disabled time-outs in the sessions tab.

I have checked with my ISP (who also host our e-mail addresses) and they have nothing on their end that should time out. It appears to be WinGate.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance....
SJAndrew

Postby adrien » Oct 14 03 1:24 pm

are you on a slow internet connection?

This is a known problem if you are scanning the mail e.g. with AV, and it takes too long to come down with POP3.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby SJAndrew » Oct 14 03 1:33 pm

The connection is a 768Kb/down ADSL connection shared with about 12 people or so...

Is there a way to stop it?

Is this message coming from Wingate or the POP3 server (i.e. my ISP)?

Thanks for your help.
SJAndrew

Postby adrien » Oct 14 03 1:39 pm

it is probably WinGate, due to the scanning.

If downloading the message takes too long, Outlook will time out - the keepalive mechanism we use on POP3 in this case doesn't work indefinitely with outlook....

how to stop...

The only way I can think would be to disable scanning on POP3 retrievals.

If you desperately want to scan your incoming email, you could look at a product like VPOP, which would pull the mail down, and spit it back to WinGate's mail server, where it could be scanned, and then your network clients would retrieve all their mail from the WinGate POP3 server. You would need to set up accounts for them for that though.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate