CRASHES CONSTANTLY

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

CRASHES CONSTANTLY

Postby DBeard » Oct 15 03 6:11 am

Wingate is jumping to 100% CPU usage and stops working.
Sometimes it does the following:

I have it using two interface bindings w/ one additional that isn't to be used and is often disabled via the OS.

Whenever it is enabled again, wingate notices it (after a few hours) and stops forwarding Internet requests to the gateway from then on, until that new interfase is disabled again.

I have the bindings and interfaces correctly enabled and disabled for the interfaces I want used by wingate, but it is not working.

I've got to have stability ASAP in this production envoirnment. I never had these problems while testing, only when the proxy comes under load.

I really need to speak with someone via telephone. Please provide me with a telephone support number.
DBeard

Postby adrien » Oct 15 03 11:30 am

I just emailed you with a number.

Make sure that this other adapter does NOT have a 'default gateway' parameter configured for it.

Also, we have had reports that if you have installed the MS blaster patch, your system will behave as you are seeng.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby neil » Oct 15 03 11:32 am

OK, a few questions so as to get a better idea of your problem.

-What OS are you using (im guessing 2k)?

-How are you getting interenet connectivity?

-What is your network set up? ie, you say you have 3 nics, so is one your LAN connection, and the other two internet connections?!

-In what order do things start? ie, it seems to me that all 3 bindings must be active when Wingate starts, as you say you have each interface started / stopped as required, and if the 3rd nic was disabled at Wingate start it wouldn't show, so is this the case?!

-How are your bindings configured within Wingate? ie, do you have the WWW proxy bound to nics 1 and 2, but the FTP proxy bound to nics 2 and 3?!

-How are the actual interfaces configured?! an 'ipconfig /all' would be helpful here. Are there multiple default gateways?

-What exactly is happening on the server when the CPU goes up? Is there heavy traffic at that point?!

-How are the clients conencting?! Proxy, WGIC, NAT?! Are the connections being TR'd?!

-Do you have any plugins installed?! (AV, Gatefilter etc)

-You say 'wingate notices it(after a few hours)'. In what way does Wingate notice it?! Is that when the CPU usage goes up? Once the 3rd interface is up if you open gatekeeper (or go offline then online again if its already open) and go to the Routing tab under Extended Network properties, does this new interface's IP appear there?!

Regards
Neil
neil
Qbik Staff

Postby DBeard » Oct 16 03 2:03 am

I have in fact installed the MSBlaster patch. We install all critical patches quickly. Any way to solve the issues caused by the MSBlaster patch?

OS = 2K

Internet Connectivity

I have two NICs, one for incoming one for outgoing via wingate. They have a gateway defined that is a Netopia Router/Firewall. Both of these are attached to my LAN and the gateway is my WAN. (T1 provided by cogent)

I have another NIC for incoming traffic for websites through a different provider with a gateway defined as a different Netopia Router/Firewall.
This NIC resolves via DHCP and is not accessible to others on the LAN. (Business Class DSL provided by SBC)

Bindings, AHA!!! I did not realize each service was bound to interfaces independently. I have made the change to reflect what I described above. All traffic comes in on one adapter and out on another, ignoring the third all together. Let me see how well this works. I can not run a full test until the weekend, however.

The third NIC interface has been stopped, mostly now because of 1.) Hacker 2.) Wingate chokes on the additional gateway. It has been enabled while wingate is running. Wingate won't see the new interface for upto an hour or so, then when it does, CPU spikes and Wingate quits functioning. (this also happens when I access Gatefilter, so I've discontinued using Gatefilter).

Gateways
For the first two NICs that Wingate is supposed to use and that are bound to in and outgoing (now on all services), have only one gateway.

The third NIC has it's own gateway.

It could be because I had improperly bound some services to use all connections (which I have changed now, due to your information) causing the problem with enabling the third NIC in the OS!?

Clients
Clients are not using any WGIC or Java. I currently do not authenticate, everyone uses the guest account. They connect via the proxy settings in the webbrowser. No NAT involved on this side of the routers.

Plugins
I have Gatefilter, it has caused 100% CPU spike when making changes to the ban list. I have discontinued it's use for now.

The infamous third NIC

When Wingate is already running and this NIC is enabled from the OS, after some delay, I'm notified via Wingate System Messages tab that it has found a new interface, after that Wingate stops passing traffic.

I have made changes to the bindings, that I missed, I hope that is the issue with the this third adapter. I will not be able to test it until this weekend, I can't risk taking the Internet offline again this week during core business hours.

I hope all that is clear, it's a ton of information to digest. I greatly appreciate your help with these issues. Ya'll have been very responsive. I hope I can iron these wrinkles out.
Last edited by DBeard on Oct 24 03 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBeard

Postby DBeard » Oct 16 03 9:26 am

FYI, the service now hangs upon boot. Will not shut down nor will it start up. Windows claims it is starting, the icons in the systems tray are yellow, but the event viewer proclaims is hung on start.

I've had to remove the Wingate Proxy and replace our old proxy solution.
Not a good thing.

I'll be rebuilding the server from scratch to eliminate entirely the possibility that the problem was with the OS.

---------------------

I still beg the question, is there a solution for the problems that you have found due to the MSBLaster patch?
DBeard

Postby DBeard » Oct 17 03 5:39 am

The server has been rebuilt and reloaded. Not production yet, load testing with a few in our IT dept.

FYI, I tried to install via the 5.0.10 version, my license would not work.
I then installed the original version I dl'ed 5.0.7 and then upgraded from there.
DBeard

Postby neil » Oct 17 03 3:24 pm

So is it looking better so far (within the IT dept testing)?!

Also in regard to the MSblast patch. It's not a definate problem, as it doesn't seem to cause a problem here when installed with Wingate on 2k, XP etc. But some people do seem to find that this patch causes them a prob with Wingate, and as such, is currently under investigation.

Regards
Neil
neil
Qbik Staff

Postby DBeard » Oct 18 03 1:38 am

It looks good so far, with the limited traffic, but then it looked good in testing before too and went crazy in production.

I understand about the MSBlaster. I don't think that my problem is related to that, because I load the patches before I load Wingate and didn't see a problem either time immediately.

My problems must have been due to something OS related.
I'll let you know how it turns out and what I learned.
DBeard

Same problem

Postby Jason Dax » Oct 18 03 8:19 am

I have the same problem. I'm running Wingate 5.0.7 in NT4 Workstation. Don't have installed the MSBlaster Patch, but wingate engine keep consuming 100% CPU. If I uninstall wingate and make a fresh install, work fine for a couple of days, and then the problem appear again.

I can't check the wingate log, because the gatekeeper don't open.

Maybe you can help.

Regards.

J.D.
Jason Dax

Postby DBeard » Oct 18 03 8:26 am

Hard to say if they are the same problem.

I noticed that accessing Gatefilter and having too many gateways (different gateways on different NICs) also caused Wingate to eat 100% CPU processes.

I believe my machine was compromised through a DSL line that was poorly firewalled, so some of my problem was due to OS corruption (bad DLL or something). Other parts of my problem are due to Wingate getting confused with extra Interfaces (NICs) and gateways.

Just a guess at this point, because I'm unsure on it all.
DBeard

Postby David Bagby » Oct 19 03 11:55 pm

adrien wrote:I just emailed you with a number.

Make sure that this other adapter does NOT have a 'default gateway' parameter configured for it.

Also, we have had reports that if you have installed the MS blaster patch, your system will behave as you are seeng.

Adrien

Hello, I updated to version 5.10 a couple of days ago and today it died. I'm running Win2k SP4 with the latest security patches. The CPU usage is max'ed out for WinGate.exe in the task manager and when I launch GateKeeper it too max's out the CPU usage (50%) and doesn't visibly come up.

Neither task will respond to WinGate system tray commands.

I reloaded version 5.07 and rebooted and it still does the same thing from boot up. I then uninstalled Wingate completely and reinstalled 5.07 and it seems to work again.

Other than possibly updating some MS security patches little else has changed. This is a new problem with WinGate. I've been using it since version 4.50 without having this problem.
David Bagby

Still Trouble

Postby DBeard » Oct 23 03 2:38 am

The load on the server has not even begun. Only a few people testing it, but already I'm getting the socket error and time out problems again.

I need a solution to these problems ASAP.

Right now, about 10 times a day at random intervals, the proxy stops responding to all requests for about a minute or a little longer. Gives socket errors for webpages and kicks people from Socks connections (instant messages). Sometimes Socks are immediately able to reconnect sometimes not, sometimes web pages, during this time, will be intermittenly accessible, most times not.

Our business does lots of SSL over the web. If these connections are lost, the user must log out, loosing all of their work (sometimes hours worth), and log back in. I've got to get more stability, to ensure my users won't have this problem.

Any further suggestions or ideas on what is causing these problems?
DBeard

Same pb

Postby jerome » Oct 23 03 10:39 pm

Hello

I recently upgrade from version 3 to 5.0.10
I encounter the same problem

Don't think this version is stable.
jerome

Postby adrien » Oct 24 03 2:06 pm

OK, we just found an issue with DNS and use of proxies, so we rolled out a change we had put into 5.0.10 for the next release.

We hope to get this out soon, for a number of reasons, including support for AntiVirus and Content Filtering again, as well as a few fixes.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby DeanP » Oct 24 03 5:34 pm

will the new release address problems with MS VPN and is there A ETA on this release..
DeanP

Postby adrien » Oct 25 03 12:47 am

ETA is early - mid next week, we are looking at PPTP and L2TP support.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby DBeard » Oct 25 03 1:33 am

Good Show Adrien.

I have confidence inspite of the problems, because of the level of communication you provide.

Keep it up and Thanks
DBeard

Return to WinGate