Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems
Post a reply

WinGate, ZoneAlarm5, SpybotS&D and LSP problems

May 28 04 12:09 am

Hi!

Just a warning that the new ZoneAlarm5 Security Suite will cause problems if you try and put it on a PC bearing the WinGate Internet Client (WGIC). You will find that the antivirus and imsecure components will refuse to activate until WGIC is uninstalled.
This is because the AntiVirus component and the IMSecure component both use LSPs (vetredir.dll and imslsp.dll) as does WGIC (wglsp.dll).
The problem probably lies at ZoneLabs' feet since similar issues occur with other LSPs (eg NetLimiter's nl_lsp.dll).
Similarly, installing IMSecure (stand-alone) on a PC with NetLimiter caused major chaos (it uses imslsp.dll too). I suspect that the same would happen if I'd installed IMSecure alongside WGIC instead. The ZoneAlarm with AntiVirus product can be expected to misbehave as well.

In a similar vein, some versions of SpybotS&D appear to incorrectly identify WGIC as the ShopAtHome trojan (with disastrous results in v1.2) - from what I've read it appears this is because WinGate's LSP and ShopAtHome's LSP both use the default name "LAYERED_PROVIDER".

Although these compatibility issues are largely not WinGate's direct fault, perhaps the developers could liase with ZoneLabs to try and get their products to play together safely - it's in the interests of both parties as well as us end users!!

Best wishes,

Andrew
Post a reply