Wingate client connection just stopped working

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate client connection just stopped working

Postby danpetke » Oct 15 03 8:41 pm

I've been using Wingate 4 Home on two machines for some time without any problems. Today, however, my client machine is unable to connect with the server. The error message I'm receiving is as follows: "None of the WinGate servers found are responding. The WinGate server may need to be restarted."

I've tried rebooting both the server and the client, but the problem remains. Prior to having this problem, I made no configuration changes to either the server or client nor installed any new software to either machine.

Any ideas as to how I might proceed to get WinGate working again? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan
danpetke

Postby neil » Oct 16 03 3:31 pm

I take it your getting this message as a pop up on the machine that is running the WGIC?! How is the WGIC 'selecting' this machine?! I would suggest manually selecting the Wingate Server you are to use, rather than leave it on automatic.

Does this happen in the middle of browsing, or is this when you first open IE?! Which version of Wingate 4 are you using? Also something to try when this error occurs, is go to the server (the machine wingate is running on) and from a cmd line type:

netstat -an |more

and see if you have references that look like:

TCP 127.0.0.1:2080 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 192.168.0.10:2080 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

if these two references are there this indicates that Wingate is listening for connections on port 2080, which is the WGIC port. If these don't show up try restarting your Wingate engine, and before attempting any connection do the netstat routine again, and see if they are listed now.

Regards,
Neil
neil
Qbik Staff

Postby danpetke » Oct 16 03 5:01 pm

Neil,

Thanks for your response. I REALLY need some help because I'm a relative novice when it come to networks.

Yes, I'm getting the error message as a pop up on the machine that is running the WGIC when I first boot the client machine. I'm using WinGate Home Version 4.4.2.

You asked "How is the WGIC 'selecting' this machine?" I'm not sure I know what you mean. If you mean the client's IP Address, I have that set as 192.168.0.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Correct??

I tried your suggestion regarding the netstat -an |more command and did see the two lines you said should show up (among a number of others).

Any more thoughts as to how I should proceed?

Dan (in Seattle, WA)
danpetke

Postby danpetke » Oct 16 03 8:44 pm

After struggling with this for awhile, I've concluded the problem is not with WinGate -- rather it is with my basic network. I can ping my server from my server, and I can ping my client from my client. But I can not make a connection between the server and client.

Does anyone have advice on what might be wrong and how I might fix this problem?

Dan
danpetke

Postby Nev » Oct 16 03 10:21 pm

danpetke wrote:After struggling with this for awhile, I've concluded the problem is not with WinGate -- rather it is with my basic network. I can ping my server from my server, and I can ping my client from my client. But I can not make a connection between the server and client.

Does anyone have advice on what might be wrong and how I might fix this problem?

Dan

G'day Dan,

Have seen this with WGIC esp' on Win9x!

Try this, in the WGIC disable it from loading and reboot.

Try the ping idea again.

Next enable the applet and reset the client, maybe this should be done first to see if it helps.

If that doesn't improve it, check the hardware, nic's & cable.

Report back and someone will take it further.

Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Return to WinGate