Move to new computer (XP Pro) from a NT4 server?

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Move to new computer (XP Pro) from a NT4 server?

Postby Chris Webb » Oct 15 03 11:20 pm

From reading here, it looks like I should just save the Qbik section of the registry from the NT4 server, install Wingate on the XP machine, then apply the Registry to it. Can anyone confirm that's correct?
Also, I'm on 5.0.7. Should I go to 5.0.10 or stick at 7. Any Gotchas to look out for?
Thanks for your help.
Chris W
Chris Webb

Postby neil » Oct 16 03 3:04 pm

That's probably the easiest thing to do, although you may find you have a few glitches that way. For example, if you use different IP address on the new machine, then when you start Gatekeeper for the first time you will get a syslog informing you that a new IP has been found etc, as the one in the registry was different to the one the OS tells us.

But on the whole this is a fairly plain sailing route. If you want you could break the reg files down in to bits yourself, and only important certain keys, like 'user database' or policy sections of services.

I would also recommend upgrading to 5.0.10 as there were significant improvements, especially with regard to the driver, if you are going to be using ENS.

Regards
Neil
neil
Qbik Staff

Re: Move to new computer (XP Pro) from a NT4 server?

Postby tim » Oct 16 03 3:05 pm

Chris Webb wrote:From reading here, it looks like I should just save the Qbik section of the registry from the NT4 server, install Wingate on the XP machine, then apply the Registry to it. Can anyone confirm that's correct?
Also, I'm on 5.0.7. Should I go to 5.0.10 or stick at 7. Any Gotchas to look out for?
Thanks for your help.

Hi,
Thats the right thing to do. There is an 'Export Wingate Setting' function in the Advanced Config. This will save your registry. You can also do a registry dump if you are comfortable doing that.

You could wait a few days for an imminent next version that fixes a few small issues, but 5.0.10 is a good one if you need it right now.

Tim
tim

Postby Chris Webb » Oct 16 03 9:28 pm

Thanks to both. I'll follow those suggestions.
Chris W
Chris Webb

Return to WinGate