Odd DNS entry?

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Odd DNS entry?

Postby msegal » Oct 16 03 9:08 am

Hi,
Wingate is installed on a W2k Pro system and part of aW2k domain with two domain controllers. Everything works just great with virtually no problems. Of the two file servers on the network one has its own direct connection to the internet behind a separate firewall. The other server uses the Wingate machine as its gateway.

The server with direct internet connection uses ip 192.168.0.99 for its internal nic. What I am finding strange is that this ip shows up frequently on the firewall entry of the wingate machine as follows:

10/15/03 12:16:20 Authorisation failure: NAT STATUS: spoofed packet discarded: UDP src 192.168.0.99:137 dst 209.115.250.24:1087

Does this make sense to anyone? How can the internal ip of the network server even be aware of the external ip of the Wingate machine if it doesn't use the Wingate machine for its internet connection?

Thanks.
msegal

Postby neil » Oct 16 03 4:17 pm

Are the two internet connections on the same subnet?! ie does the file server with the direct connection use the same external subnet as the Wingate machines connection?!

Regards,

Neil
neil
Qbik Staff

Postby msegal » Oct 16 03 5:34 pm

Hello Neil,

If I understand your question, then the answer is yes. Each machine has a static ip provided by our DSL ISP. They both use the same subnet to the internet. But to be honest I still don't see the relationship. Each machine has two nics. One to the internet the other to the internal network. Each type of connection is on a different subnet. What am I not understanding?

Mitchell
msegal

Return to WinGate