Wingate Or WinRoute????

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

VOTE for wingate or winroute.

winGATE
89%
WinROUTE
11%

Total votes : 18

Wingate Or WinRoute????

Postby max3do » Oct 17 03 10:12 pm

Gaylord, MI - Oct 6, 2003 — Deerfield.com announced today that WinGate (created by Qbik) has been replaced by Kerio WinRoute Firewall and WinRoute Pro as their premier Internet Sharing software solutions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi i am erfan...
U may have some problem reading my english cuz eng is not my mother language.. and i GOT indian Xcent...
well anyway... After reading the above Paragraph..on deerfield web site i was shocked. and stunned...and said to my SElf "what the HACk is going on here".....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<<<<<“When it became imminent that the Deerfield.com-Qbik New Zealand relationship would end, we began an aggressive search for a best-of-breed gateway/firewall product,” said Mike Deerfield, Chief Executive Officer of Deerfield.com. “We were surprised to learn that WinRoute Firewall, a known, viable competitor to WinGate, had overtaken WinGate in the marketplace in both sales and product maturity. We found the new WinRoute Firewall 5 to be an extremely stable and functional product well suited to meet the needs of our customers.” >>>>>>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and i planed to download winroute and installed it...and HOLa I found it very diffecult.. the Interface is Too complex... if u compare the wingate with winroute u would found that wingate is the BEST and The MOST best application when it comes In sharing..... after ISA......
All i want in wingate IN the future... Dedicated bandwidth to each user...
automatic update able cache on a given date or time... Secure NAT....
H.XXX protocol support... and There u have it a Perfect soulotion......
-----------------
and trust me dont use winroute ever in ur life. It suckzzzz... the
interface suckzzz.. cache suckzzz..polices suckzzz...each and every thing is suckzz... U were thinking why i am saying this to u peoples... i am not a employee at qbik.. all i know that "wingate Rulezz..the most cheap soloution for a small or coporate network"
no one is perfect wingate also got some LACK of Unstabllity...i dont know about 5.0.10 VER.. still testing this ver.. I hope qbik will solve this issue.
--------------------
I want to share many thing with u People and i don;t know what u think about this..
deerfield is compearing (i don;t know how to spell compare ?? may be i am typing it correctly) the winroute with wingate with 3 future and they r repeating it again and again in the table......and with price...

if u comare the price u had to notice that u will not have a mail server in winrute and deerfield is selling this product saperatly......
this featuer is built in wingate...Haha now can u DIG that suckrzzzzzzz.....
hahaha Bye ..i am running out of time.. see u next time
i will add this later
max3do

Re: Wingate Or WinRoute????

Postby Arvel » Oct 29 03 9:55 am

> Gaylord, MI - Oct 6, 2003 — Deerfield.com announced today that
> WinGate (created by Qbik) has been replaced by Kerio WinRoute
> Firewall and WinRoute Pro as their premier Internet Sharing software
> solutions.
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw the above on the Deerfield web site also. They used the same type of language with MDaemon when they lost the Alt-N account. The use of the word "replace" is potentially misleading. The only thing "replaced" that I know of was Deerfield.

Arvel
Arvel

Postby FLECOM » Oct 31 03 7:06 am

Arvel wrote:> Gaylord, MI - Oct 6, 2003 ? Deerfield.com announced today that
> WinGate (created by Qbik) has been replaced by Kerio WinRoute
> Firewall and WinRoute Pro as their premier Internet Sharing software
> solutions.
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw the above on the Deerfield web site also. They used the same type of language with MDaemon when they lost the Alt-N account. The use of the word "replace" is potentially misleading. The only thing "replaced" that I know of was Deerfield.

Arvel

ya, ive actually been using MDeamon since Alt-N sold it the first time... before Deerfield bought it and then droped it hehe

i agree that WinRoute is very unfriendly... i coudlent get it to work for the life of me either, definately not worth the money they ask for it

WinGate will continue to be to product i recommend for a 3rd party router for windows
FLECOM

Postby stu » Oct 31 03 7:44 pm

I just tried WinRoute, I didnt realise wingate and winroute were different companies... and from what i saw on the website it thought winroute was an upgrade to wingate, ive been just trialling wingate..

but I installed winroute and i thought man they have taken a step backwards...the layout is horrid..

but i thought id try it anyway.. well as soon as i connected to the internet.. BOOM, windows rebooted.. from then on it kept rebooting as soon as anything tried to connect to the internet.. so I assume winroute is more like a beta product hehe..

What a joke, anyone thinking of trying winroute, i suggest not to..
Unless u like booting up in safe mode so you can remote winroute..
And even then, their stupid uninstall script doesnt uninstall it properly. it removes the winroute service, but not that actual program. so when u reboot again, the program starts complaining it cant locate the winroute service..

anyway thats my speeeel

max3do wrote:Gaylord, MI - Oct 6, 2003 — Deerfield.com announced today that WinGate (created by Qbik) has been replaced by Kerio WinRoute Firewall and WinRoute Pro as their premier Internet Sharing software solutions.

Hi i am erfan...
U may have some problem reading my english cuz eng is not my mother language.. and i GOT indian Xcent...
well anyway... After reading the above Paragraph..on deerfield web site i was shocked. and stunned...and said to my SElf "what the HACk is going on here".....
<<<<<“When it became imminent that the Deerfield.com-Qbik New Zealand relationship would end, we began an aggressive search for a best-of-breed gateway/firewall product,” said Mike Deerfield, Chief Executive Officer of Deerfield.com. “We were surprised to learn that WinRoute Firewall, a known, viable competitor to WinGate, had overtaken WinGate in the marketplace in both sales and product maturity. We found the new WinRoute Firewall 5 to be an extremely stable and functional product well suited to meet the needs of our customers.” >>>>>>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and i planed to download winroute and installed it...and HOLa I found it very diffecult.. the Interface is Too complex... if u compare the wingate with winroute u would found that wingate is the BEST and The MOST best application when it comes In sharing..... after ISA......
All i want in wingate IN the future... Dedicated bandwidth to each user...
automatic update able cache on a given date or time... Secure NAT....
H.XXX protocol support... and There u have it a Perfect soulotion......
-----------------
and trust me dont use winroute ever in ur life. It suckzzzz... the
interface suckzzz.. cache suckzzz..polices suckzzz...each and every thing is suckzz... U were thinking why i am saying this to u peoples... i am not a employee at qbik.. all i know that "wingate Rulezz..the most cheap soloution for a small or coporate network"
no one is perfect wingate also got some LACK of Unstabllity...i dont know about 5.0.10 VER.. still testing this ver.. I hope qbik will solve this issue.
--------------------
I want to share many thing with u People and i don;t know what u think about this..
deerfield is compearing (i don;t know how to spell compare ?? may be i am typing it correctly) the winroute with wingate with 3 future and they r repeating it again and again in the table......and with price...

if u comare the price u had to notice that u will not have a mail server in winrute and deerfield is selling this product saperatly......
this featuer is built in wingate...Haha now can u DIG that suckrzzzzzzz.....
hahaha Bye ..i am running out of time.. see u next time
stu

Postby DBeard » Nov 01 03 5:03 am

Winroute crashes even more than wingate, that's saying a lot.
DBeard

Postby richieopera » Nov 25 03 6:04 am

i also downloaded Winroute from deerfield assuming it was the new version of wingate. Very misleading site....

oh and Winroute SUXoR
even though my wingate doesn't even have NAT working right now =P
richieopera

winroute

Postby dataking » Nov 25 03 10:46 am

greetings,

i would like to set a few things straight :
first of all iagree with all of you on the horid/pathetic/unfriendlt layout/interface of winroute....but think of it what you may, it has a few key features, that i would gladly trade wingate for!..as amatter of fact i was using winroute for the last few weeks wen wingate was unstable after 5.0.7, which gave e the oppurtinity to go through someof the features of winroute!...its hot half bd a proxy i tellyou!....anyway..the features....i liked.....primerily the following :

1. H.323 (VoIP) support!
2. uPNP support
3. user bandwidth monitoring
4. LIVE NAT logging with reverse dns lookup!!...( a definate thumbs uip here!) gives u transparent redirection while showing you which SITES the users are on, not just the IP, as is the case with wingate in NAT mode. thios also show you the amount of data transfered during each session altogether nd each ftp link as well!...also helpful on many ocasions!

these three features ami9ung many others are enough to make a person switch...but what it lacks most is user manegement, the admin only has 2 choices, NT user auth and Winroute user DB....no asumptions based on IPs or macs as such!.....this is the only thing thats kleeping me from permanently switching to winroute.

oh and it does have an amazing DHCP allocation chart monitor!....which is very helpful indeed when it comes to checking authenticated users!!!

so....to sum up, all wingate needs is uPNP and h323 supprt and we would all have died and gone to heaven as far as corporate internet distribution is concerned!!...

hmm....well..thats it for now!...

enjoy people!...

Shayan
dataking

Postby richieopera » Nov 25 03 12:54 pm

i installed winroute and AOL wouldn't even connect...
richieopera

Re: winroute

Postby adrien » Nov 25 03 6:07 pm

dataking wrote:greetings,

i would like to set a few things straight :
first of all iagree with all of you on the horid/pathetic/unfriendlt layout/interface of winroute....but think of it what you may, it has a few key features, that i would gladly trade wingate for!..as amatter of fact i was using winroute for the last few weeks wen wingate was unstable after 5.0.7, which gave e the oppurtinity to go through someof the features of winroute!...its hot half bd a proxy i tellyou!....anyway..the features....i liked.....primerily the following :

1. H.323 (VoIP) support!
2. uPNP support
3. user bandwidth monitoring
4. LIVE NAT logging with reverse dns lookup!!...( a definate thumbs uip here!) gives u transparent redirection while showing you which SITES the users are on, not just the IP, as is the case with wingate in NAT mode. thios also show you the amount of data transfered during each session altogether nd each ftp link as well!...also helpful on many ocasions!

these three features ami9ung many others are enough to make a person switch...but what it lacks most is user manegement, the admin only has 2 choices, NT user auth and Winroute user DB....no asumptions based on IPs or macs as such!.....this is the only thing thats kleeping me from permanently switching to winroute.

oh and it does have an amazing DHCP allocation chart monitor!....which is very helpful indeed when it comes to checking authenticated users!!!

so....to sum up, all wingate needs is uPNP and h323 supprt and we would all have died and gone to heaven as far as corporate internet distribution is concerned!!...

hmm....well..thats it for now!...

enjoy people!...

Shayan

Actually WinGate 5.1 does support H.323 connections.

And I see the site name in transparently redirected NAT connections... what browser are you using? Usually WinGate uses the Host: tag in the HTTP request, which any HTTP/1.1 compatible browser will send (so IE3 onwards I think or maybe even earlier).

we are looking into UPnP, but it is a security minefield.

Cheers

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

wingate/winroute

Postby dataking » Nov 25 03 7:25 pm

Greetings adrien,

wingate does show http connections(with dns names) when the reauest is http, it fails to do the same when the protocol is say non-http, example would be MSN's connections, or any other application which does not use http to connect. this is achieved through Protocol Inspectors which enable Winroute to SEE the complete activity even in NAT mode, and this enables us(the admins) to control and restrict user access even in NAT mode, which is close to impossible at the moment. wingate has excelent traffic management policies, no doubt, but theyre useless in NAT mode. if only there were a way......

as for uPNP, it is indeed a "security minefield"!!...actually that might just be an understatement!!......but wether we like it or not, it has become an important requirement in todays applications, mostly programs which utilize multiple temporary ports to transfer data across multiple connections, namely most of the instant messenger services.

and i was not aware wingate supoprted h323 natively!..it is indeed great news!....i shall try to route some of my connections through the wingate server from the cisco routers ....

best regards,

Shayan
dataking

Postby DAMnet » Nov 26 03 6:58 am

Removed
Continuïteit op één
DAMnet

Return to WinGate