SOCKS CHALLENGE

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

SOCKS CHALLENGE

Postby Newbie_ph » Oct 18 03 10:15 pm

Hello Techie People.

It is the first time we used WINGATE 5.0.7. We have no problem in our Internet connection sharing. Users can surf with ease. But when users visits our web site that has a Chat Forum, we encounter an error displaying to the client machine:
---------------
There was a problem connecting to the chat forum server. Check your Internet connection and try connecting again.
Please note: Some users behind a firewall may need to use a SOCKS proxie. Contact your network admin for more information
---------------
Our web site is being host by a third party.

I already configured the Wingate Proxy Socks Services and pointed the web browsers of the users to the corresponding port number (1080) but we still experience the same problem.
I already changed the firewall setting of Wingate to Medium that opens ports 1024 – 4096 yet the problem still exist.

But when users dial-up for Internet access, they don’t have this problem.

What am I missing?

Please help. Thanks.
Newbie_ph

Postby adrien » Oct 18 03 11:54 pm

does your chat service use java?

If so, then SOCKS is what you need to get it going. It may depend on how you have your client web browsers configured though, since some settings override each other.

What we find works best, is to only specify in IE proxy settings a server for HTTP and SOCKS... leave the rest blank. Then the browser will use the WinGate WWW Proxy for HTTP, and the SOCKS server for everything else.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby Newbie_ph » Oct 20 03 4:56 pm

Hi Adrien. Thanks for the reply.

I already tried it to the IE proxy setting but still it didn't work. I tried installing to clients the Wingate Client (WGC) but still the SOCKS problem appears.

What am I missing?

adrien wrote:does your chat service use java?

If so, then SOCKS is what you need to get it going. It may depend on how you have your client web browsers configured though, since some settings override each other.

What we find works best, is to only specify in IE proxy settings a server for HTTP and SOCKS... leave the rest blank. Then the browser will use the WinGate WWW Proxy for HTTP, and the SOCKS server for everything else.

Adrien
Newbie_ph

Return to WinGate