Wingate 507 and Outlook Express (incoming mail)

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate 507 and Outlook Express (incoming mail)

Postby Stuart Gammon » Oct 19 03 5:27 am

I am having a problem with receiving my incoming mail (POP3) from my ISP on my Wingate server (Windows 98).

The Outlook Express Account is configured to get incoming mail from the ISP's server (mail.server.com), to send outbound mail via the same server, and has anaccount name of 'my.mail'.

Whenever I shut the system down, and subsequently restart, the information in the Outlook Express accounts has changed - the incoming mail server now says 'localhost', the outbound mail server is changed, and the account name is changed from 'my.mail' to 'my.mail/mail.server.com' ! This then refuses to connect properly. Why is this happening?

I have to say I have looked through the help text regarding setting up e-mail, and I am very confused! I have no idea whether I have set things up correctly, but it does seem to work when I return Outlook Express to my original configuration. All I want to do is connect my network of PCs at home to the Internet via Broadband (USB), and allow them all to access e-mail (including the server) on my ISP's POP3 server.

SOLVED - 27 October 2003
I have finally tracked the problem down! The resetting of the POP3 incoming mail server is being done by my anti-virus software (Trend PC-cillin) which is performing a real-time scan of e-mail. In order to do this, it changes the incoming mail-server to localhost, and the account details (as above) to account name/mail server.

Unfortunately this does NOT appear to be compatible WinGate - as documented in Trend Micro's knowledgebase article 14809! (Unless someone else knows better). See:
http://kb.trendmicro.com/solutions/solutionDetail.asp?solutionID=14809
Last edited by Stuart Gammon on Oct 28 03 12:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stuart Gammon
Stuart Gammon

Re: Wingate 507 and Outlook Express (incoming mail)

Postby Nev » Oct 19 03 5:45 pm

Stuart Gammon wrote:I am having a problem with receiving my incoming mail (POP3) from my ISP on my Wingate server (Windows 98).

The Outlook Express Account is configured to get incoming mail from the ISP's server (mail.server.com), to send outbound mail via the same server, and has anaccount name of 'my.mail'.

Whenever I shut the system down, and subsequently restart, the information in the Outlook Express accounts has changed - the incoming mail server now says 'localhost', the outbound mail server is changed, and the account name is changed from 'my.mail' to 'my.mail/mail.server.com' ! This then refuses to connect properly. Why is this happening?

I have to say I have looked through the help text regarding setting up e-mail, and I am very confused! I have no idea whether I have set things up correctly, but it does seem to work when I return Outlook Express to my original configuration. All I want to do is connect my network of PCs at home to the Internet via Broadband (USB), and allow them all to access e-mail (including the server) on my ISP's POP3 server.

G'day Stuart,

Have seen this on '98, it's 'nowt' to do with Wingate, try using Outlook or better still Netscape Messenger, they don't fall over like MSOE.

Or re install IE if 98 will let you.

Good luck.

Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

It's not MS Outlook - it must be Wingate

Postby Stuart Gammon » Oct 20 03 11:14 am

I tried switching to Netscape Mail, and still got the same resetting of the incoming mail server to 'localhost'. Then I tried stopping WinGate starting automatically (removed the engine monitor startup from the Start menu) - and no more problem.

All I want is a simple Wingate setup
- the server connects to the internet via a USB broadband link
- the server and clients are all linked by an Ethernet network, into a central hub
- all systems (including the server) need access to the Internet for general browsing, and mail access to/from my ISP, using POP3 protocol
- I do not want Wingate to provide a mail server, just reroute mail to/from the internet via the server
- the server is running Windows 98SE, the first client uses Windows XP (the reason why I need WinGate)
- I am using Wingate 5.0.7
Stuart Gammon
Stuart Gammon

Return to WinGate