5.0.10 Big Problems with ENS and DNS

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

5.0.10 Big Problems with ENS and DNS

Postby DeanP » Oct 19 03 12:50 pm

It seems dns almost always drops the first queries at lease till the dialup is complete, this is new with ver 10. The latest problem is with ENS after connecting through my internet dialup ISDN I connect to A vpn using MS PPTP conection. after I disconect from the vpn ENS locks out my whole local network. the only thing to get it back is to disable ENS at the local wingate server. then I can reenable and it will work till I connect to VPN again. This also only happens on ver 5.0.10 This is where the VPN connection was as will. I am using a 3com XL 10/100 card.
DeanP

Postby adrien » Oct 20 03 12:11 am

OK, thanks for this information, we will look into that local machine PPTP issue.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby adrien » Oct 20 03 12:25 am

OK, justr been doing a bit of looking into the code.

on the point of the PPTP connection disconnecting, the thing that happens here is that the system route table changes, and WinGate will send the ENS driver a new route table. If there is a problem with this, then routing won't operate properly, and that could lock out your network as you said.

The disabling and re-enabling of ENS will force WinGate to send a new route table down, and re-initialise some other parameters. It is most likely that the route table change is what is causing the problem.

It is possible for you to manually force WinGate to send a new route table down to the driver. You can do this by creating a route, thereby changing the route table, and making WinGate update the driver. To do this, you could go to the command line and type

route add 192.168.0.2 MASK 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.1

if your IP address is 192.168.0.1. If it was something else, pick an IP address on the same subnet for the first address, and the IP address of your adapter for the last one. This will create a route that basically does nothing, since there will be a subnet route to this host anyway, but the change to the route table will force WinGate to refresh.

If you could do this and let me know if it clears the problem that would narrow things down a heap for us to investigate.

On your other point regarding DNS.... we changed the DNS resolver to not try sending to servers that are not available... when you say drops queries, do you mean that you get a response "host not found" in your browsers immediately? I need to check if the changes will have affected this, since we no longer make the request to a server we cannot reach, however we shouldn't fail the request, as that could cause other problems... I will check.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby DeanP » Oct 21 03 10:48 am

I will test the route add on loccal server after pptp connect tonight. DNS does produce A web error I think it is server not found, but I will double check that tonight as will.....
DeanP

Postby aridlaw » Oct 21 03 7:51 pm

I think this problem I had inform early and also sent email with WINS/DNS solve log to Adrien.
I am still looking for solve method
http://forums.qbik.com/viewtopic.php?t=151
aridlaw

Postby DeanP » Oct 22 03 6:10 am

OK, On DNS matter the browser error is the standard 404 file not found. If I wait 15 sec. for dialup to connect and press refreach button the same site loads up fine. The Dns is dropping or timing out. my ISDN connects fast so I don't think its timing out.

On ENS and PPTP the problem is very deep. adding the false route to trigger a route table reload did not work at all. as soon as i drop the vpn all local network ops go nonop. I tried to shutdown wingate and then stop routing and remote access service as soon as I started rounting i got a blue screen of death with wanarp.sys file on error. a restart is the only way to get it back. I even tried to disable the nic interface and it never resopnded. if I stop wingate I can start and stop routing service no problem and also coneect and disconnect from vpn all day long with no problem. there is no question in my mind that it is the wingate service with ens running or disabled. this does not happen in 5.0.07 please help me with this problem. it makes wingate on a long term bases unusable for me at home(5 user Lic.) and the company that I work for with a 50 user lic.
DeanP

Postby PALWalrus » Oct 23 03 2:13 am

I am having similar problems with release 5.0.10. I do not get the browser issues as I am using cable modem and am always connected.

On trying to connect to my work VPN (which worked correctly on 5.07 and failed after installing 5.0.10) I get an NATLINK appearing on the address of 0.0.0.0 and this fails authorization on my system as it is outside the permitted IP range. Even if I enable the address it still does not allow VPN to work.

I have not tried forcing a new load of the route table but do not expect the results to be any different.

This is major for me too as I use both computers, whether at home or at work and with VPN down I am unable to run remote control on both.

PAL
PALWalrus

Postby DeanP » Oct 23 03 11:11 am

What VPN Software are You Using ?
DeanP

Postby PALWalrus » Oct 23 03 11:57 am

None, just using a normal Microsoft VPN connection under XP then running Remote Desktop for control of whichever PC I want to use. If this is not resolved in the next few hours I will have to drop back to 5.0.7. I cannot be without this connection.

PAL
PALWalrus

Postby DeanP » Oct 23 03 12:21 pm

Thats what i'm using try stopping wingate service while connected this works most of the time. I am in the same boat here. we need A fix ASAP or i will not be able to test any longer I will go back to 5.0.7. I have no choice.
DeanP

Return to WinGate