Routing; Relay UDP broadcast packets (Help needed)

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Routing; Relay UDP broadcast packets (Help needed)

Postby jazzzz » Oct 20 03 9:16 am

I have a simple network established using a Windows XP Professional Machine as my server with Wingate assuming all server duties. The XP machine is also my Wingate Server. Now our clients access the XP machine to use a few shared directories, here is where the problem arises.

If I place a check mark in the above mentioned Relay UDP broadcast packets in the Extended Networking on the routing tab my client machines cannot open the BE database or any of the shared directories that our network uses on the XP machine. If I attempt to browse our network via network Neighborhood from the clients I am told the network is not available. If I attempt to open a database I receive a message stating that the shared name is not accessible or something to that effect. If I uncheck this option then our clients can access the BE database/directories without a problem.

I realize it must be a setting I am using/not using. Can someone share some guidance with me on this one? I would like to understand what Relay UDP packets does since the Wingate help recommends this setting be turned on.

Let me mention I am a user of Wingate for many, many years and find it to be the best product out there for sharing a connection bar none. I purchased it through deerfield and am glad I found your web-site as I will not switch product. As a consultant I have approx. 50 + installed Wingate networks and will continue to recommend Wingate for this purpose. Thank you for a great product.
Life's a journey enjoy the ride...
jazzzz
jazzzz

Postby adrien » Oct 20 03 10:15 am

Thanks for your comments!

As for the problem with UDP relay, what sort of network configuration do you have on that machine? WinGate shouldn't broadcast packets on the same interface it received them on, and it lets the original broadcast packet in, so there should be no problem with that.... could you tell me a little bit more about this BE database? Does it use broadcasts to find a server? Is there a website somewhere I can read about this product on?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Your welcome...

Postby jazzzz » Oct 20 03 11:02 am

Adrien, the database is Access 2000. Our XP Server has two network cards installed one for our DSL connection and it is set as follows:
IP Address 10.0.0.1
Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0
DNS 199.224.86.15
and 199.224.86.16

Our Wingate card is set as
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
those are the only settings.

On the test client I tried obtain IP automatically I prefer to assign an IP so it now assigned as follows
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
with the gateway set to 192.168.0.1

again I tried it with/without a gateway or an IP address, it made no difference. The only way I can get the BE to connect ALL the time is to uncheck the UDP Relay. I tried to search the Internet for any info on this thinking maybe I have to enable a port or something all to no avail. Any insight you can share with me is very appreciated. As my comments on Wingate are sincere.

Let me also mention I am using the latest version of Wingate on the server. Our clients are mixed Millennium, Win2000 and 98. They all work fine and our gate works flawlessly otherwise.
Life's a journey enjoy the ride...
jazzzz
jazzzz

Return to WinGate