Fatal Application Exit

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Fatal Application Exit

Postby sudleyplace » Sep 15 03 3:25 pm

I didn't have any luck when I presented this problem on the wingate-users@qbik.com forum, so I'll try here:

Using Wingate 5.0.7 Pro (3 users) on a Win 2000 Server system, when I try to run Gatekeeper (using, say, the tray icon) up pops a small window titled "Fatal Application Exit" and has the text "EXITING APPLICATION" in the window. The message contains no other indication as to the nature of the error (Qbik: hint, hint).

If I click on OK, the window and Gatekeeper disappear. Curiously, if I don't click on OK (and just push aside the "Fatal ..." window), Gatekeeper works just fine.

This behavior has happened off and on for a while (I don't remember when it started), and up to now, I've ignored it. I've been using Wingate since Version 2.x.

Something tells me this is not standard behavior. How do I fix it?

BTW, I searched the Wingate KB for the text "fatal,application,exit" (which, according to the Search Help page, is supposed to return a list of articles containing ALL of the keywords) and found 47 hits, none of which were relevant. Curiously, if I search on just the word "fatal", I get no hits, so obviously I don't know even how to use the help system.
sudleyplace

Postby adrien » Sep 15 03 11:37 pm

was that searching on this forum?

As for that fatal application exit, we haven't seen that here for a very long time. does it happen often?

Also, what user database are you using in WinGate? I found and fixed a bug today to do with logging into WinGate with NT user database on machines with long computer names (DNS ones).

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby sudleyplace » Sep 16 03 3:34 am

The searching was on the Deerfield KB, so perhaps yours is different.

Lately, I get the error every time I open Gatekeeper. I've rebooted maybe six times in the past month.

The database format used is "Wingate User Database". The computer names on the network are "localgate" (the one running Wingate), along with "mary" and "bob".

Also, this machine has dual CPUs.
sudleyplace

Postby adrien » Sep 16 03 11:24 am

do you have any plugins installed?

Does this happen before you log in, or after you press the OK on the login dialog?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby sudleyplace » Sep 16 03 3:13 pm

Extended Networking is installed and running.

Login is automatic, so I can't tell when it happens.
sudleyplace

Postby MattP » Sep 16 03 3:32 pm

you can change from automatic login by going to options>online and deselecting the check box use these details next time to log in directly

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling from scratch as opposed to upgrading?

If you uninstall you'd want to save the registry first so that you can recreate this installation (to do this go to options>advanced and select save registry settings, you should save them somewhere other than the Wingate directory). Once you have a new install, try and start WinGate, if it works OK then try to import the registry and see how that goes.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby adrien » Sep 16 03 4:35 pm

actually before you try that, I would try replacing the GateKeeper.exe file to see if it was corrupted.

You can extract it from the installer that you used to install WinGate by running the installer from the command line with a /X switch

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby divinity » Sep 19 03 8:33 am

FYI, i've been having this problem with GateKeeper since ver. 5.0 was first released. i've tried uninstalling the software fully, reinstalling it, and changing a variety of things. it turns out that the only way i can get the error to go away is to clear the History window completely of all old entries, or to reboot the system (which is really crazy as this is our office's main server). it's a pain, but you can continue to use gatekeeper behind the error window, sometimes. i'd love for the problem to be fixed....
divinity

Postby sudleyplace » Sep 19 03 11:29 am

I ran wgsetup5.0.7 /x to extract GateKeeper.exe -- a file compare showed it to be identical to the one in the C:\Program Files\Wingate directory.

I then went to change the login to manual and found that the FAE had disappeared! Perhaps something changed just by running setup???

After playing around with this, it appears that the FAE is tied to the automatic login. That is, with manusl login, no FAE. With automatic login, FAE.
sudleyplace

Postby adrien » Sep 19 03 2:18 pm

ok, thanks for that info, we will have a look at it.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate