Auto-connect to Internet

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Auto-connect to Internet

Postby Quinze » Oct 23 03 9:09 am

Can someone tell me please how I can get WinGate to automatically connect to my ADSL modem when someone on a client computer seeks internet access, but no-one has yet logged on to the WinGate server computer (which is running Win2000)?

This used to work when I used Wingate 4 and WGIC, but now I'm using WinGate 5 and NAT.

Is it a result of the WinGate 5 installation requiring me to disable ICS on the server computer (which has on-demand dialling)? If so, what alternative is there?

John
Quinze

Postby erwin » Oct 23 03 9:43 am

Hi John

Just a question.
Is you Adsl a dial on demand type modem, or is it "on line all the time modem router".?

If it is a dial up type, then WinGate should recognise the connection as a dial up connection in its dialer properties, and it should also have a connection listing in the dialup networking/network connections on the WinGate PC.

ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) needs to be disabled for WinGate to work on the PC. (As the Internet sharing will of course now be handled by WinGate).

When your client PC's have their Gateway and DNS settings are set to the internal LAN ip of the WinGate PC, it will cause WinGate to use the dialup connection to access the Internet to satisfy their requests. This is using NAT, for further info on how to configure clients to use NAT please check the WinGate helpfile.

Regards
Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Postby Quinze » Oct 23 03 8:50 pm

Erwin,

Thank you for your speedy reply.

I hadn't spotted the Dialer configuration, which had not been enabled. I've now done this so I hope it will work.

John
Quinze

Return to WinGate