Move Wingate to new hardware -> result BSD

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Move Wingate to new hardware -> result BSD

Postby John » Oct 24 03 3:01 am

Hi,

Due to the fact that the current Wingate machine is getting very old and some parts are not properly functioning (CD player) we decided to use a new machine.
From the documentation I gathered that I should reinstall the Wingate software and restore the saved registry settings (from the old one).
When installing (version 4.x) I got a message that the installer had expired. I changed the date back to 2001 and did the install, all seemed fine. We don't want to upgrade yet to a more recent version at the moment.
Note that the orginal machine is named Wingate and I installed it on Wingate2. I renamed the Wingate2 after I disconnected the original Wingate.
I then installed the dialup (although different name used) and restored the registry settings for Wingate.
I tested the dialup and that seemed fine.
I activated the new dialup in the system.
But when I used a client PC to connect to the internet the Wingate PC immediately crashed with a BSD. A second retry had the same result so I canceled the update for the moment.

Questions:
did I do the move of the system in the correct way or should I do this differently?
If it is the correct way does anyone know what the problem can be?

Currently I am checking the events (1001) which points to drivers.
The system is a W2000 Pro PC with recent patches installed.

Appreciate any suggestions!

John
John

Postby neil » Oct 24 03 4:47 pm

So from this i take it your still running a 4.x version of Wingate?! IF so which one? I also take it your using the ENS?!

Some of the older version of the ENS (particularly the 4.2 one) can cause some fairly major probs (for example the 4.2 NAT only worked on NT, wouldn't work with any protocols other than tcp/ip, or anything above service pack 4).

I would recommend upgrading to 5.0.10 anyway, as you get all the bug fixes we've done since the version you have, even if some of the newer features are turned off because you are using an older licence.

Regards,

Neil
neil
Qbik Staff

Postby John » Oct 25 03 1:00 am

Hi,

old machine was running W2K aswell, same protocols.

But I will give it a shot. Will install the new version and see whether the BSD issue is not returning.

I assume that I can upgrade over the system we have now (new machine with the 'buggy' version.

John
John

Return to WinGate