Wingate's DNS does not always work.

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate's DNS does not always work.

Postby djrock » Oct 25 03 6:40 am

Hello Wingates dns has stop working when i updated to 5.0.10. Now i have to enter my isp's dns servers but still if i disconnect from the internet and reconnect it stops working the clients get 404's. I type the ip of google it works fine type in www.google.com i get 404 in internet explorer. If i restart the server the dns server works fine.

My server is running winxp sp1a with a 56k modem.

Thankyou
djrock

Postby adrien » Oct 25 03 7:21 am

Are you connecting via the proxy?

We found an issue with this, related to timing. We are releasing another version soon to fix it (early next week)

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby djrock » Oct 25 03 7:41 am

Connectng using the www proxy? If so yes. But the other thing which i never had to to is enter my isp's dns server so theres something in wingate thats not getting the isp's dns server ip address?
djrock

Postby adrien » Oct 25 03 7:43 am

I can send you a new engine if you like which fixes this.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby djrock » Oct 25 03 8:08 am

No thankyou its ok for now i will wait for the updated version to come out. Early this week??? At least i know this bug has been fixed. Hopefully it fixes my problem as well.

Thankyou

djrock
djrock

Postby adrien » Oct 25 03 8:12 am

in about 4-5 days we hope.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby ngrayson » Oct 26 03 1:17 am

adrien wrote:in about 4-5 days we hope.

Adrien

I would also be interested in a new version with this fix. I dont know if is the same problems but I have some similar problems definatly DNS and a timeing issue.

Many previous versions of Wingate have dialed immediatly a client has requested a web site and the response to the client has been near immdeiate (using ISDN line). The last few release although over all are moving in the right direction have introduced a problem where although the ISDN line connects as fast as ever, the page is lost and we 404 error.

A refresh resolves this.

BTW, I'm working on trying to get you some information as I think there are memory leak somewhere. I'm running 5.0.10 on a 98SE machine. I have also VPOP 3 running ( would prefer to use yours but it has a vital feature missing). Anyway, I have unloaded the VPOP3 application and many others leaving wingate engine only running and either MS system monitor and Freeram XP pro (reason will become clear soon).

With this, overnight (with no users active and only the engine running), I lost 20M of free memory. This seems to be a trend as system monitor shows locked memory increasing, and free memory decreasing.

With this leak the machine eventually dies and I suspsect, since the performance drops prior to the crash, the heap is becoming so fragmented that the memory manage is struggling.

Will let you know the outcome.

Pleace advise when the next release will be available.

Regards
Neil
ngrayson

Return to WinGate