Question about SMTP Proxy server

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Question about SMTP Proxy server

Postby grtoro » Oct 26 03 2:57 am

I am having problems with the SMTP Proxy server with Wingate 5.0.7, after a hard disk crash that wiped out our Wingate 4 setup. We have a Unix machine on the LAN (other than the Wingate machine) that handles all local delivery. This same machine sends all outgoing e-mail to the ISP's web server (through the Wingate machine). I am using the SMTP Proxy server for this purpose and I disabled the SMTP server. Should I be using the SMTP server instead?

Incoming and outgoing messages (or at least some of them) seem to be getting through, but I have noticed a a couple of things in the SMTP Proxy server log files (see below)

10/25/03 07:19:08 69.64.70.116 Guest 0000005675 Created:
10/25/03 07:19:09 69.64.70.116 Guest 0000005675 Requested: SMTP: inbound message from to
10/25/03 07:19:09 69.64.70.116 Guest 0000005675 Traffic 367 3821 3821 367 1s
10/25/03 07:19:09 69.64.70.116 Guest 0000005675 Terminated exit code 1

Note the "from to " (no recipient or sender in most messages). Is this a problem with name resolution? How should I handle DNS? We do not run our own name server and the internal IP address of the SMTP server machine is not a public IP.

Also, most messages terminate with exit code 1 or 2, but they seem to be arriving.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gabriel
grtoro

Re: Question about SMTP Proxy server

Postby tim » Oct 28 03 3:13 pm

grtoro wrote:I am using the SMTP Proxy server for this purpose and I disabled the SMTP server. Should I be using the SMTP server instead?

Note the "from to " (no recipient or sender in most messages). Is this a problem with name resolution? How should I handle DNS? We do not run our own name server and the internal IP address of the SMTP server machine is not a public IP.

Hi, I don't know why this is occuring, but I do know that you should use the SMTP server not the proxy. Even if you dont host local mail, the server provides such significant improvements over the proxy that we don't install the proxy any more, or recommend its use at all, and we are doing no further developmentfor it.
As such I an unfamiliar with the proxy.

The server is easy to run, just stop the proxy and start the server. All the defaults should allow you to run without any changes.

Tim
tim

Postby grtoro » Oct 29 03 9:24 am

Tim,

Thanks for your response. I had some questions about the SMTP server, so I chose to install the SMTP proxy server, which I had used in Version 4. I have some specific questions about the set up of the SMTP server and I would appreciate your assistance.

Again, incoming mail comes from the Internet (through the Wingate machine) to a Unix machine in the LAN (the Unix machine runs Sendmail and POP3). Outgoing mail is sent by that machine to the ISP's SMTP server (through the Wingate machine)

Here are my questions:

1. Bindings and interfaces (in SMTP server settings). should I have both the inside and outside IP addresses as bindings? What about the interfaces? The concept of binding and interface is not clear here, as we are dealing with both incoming (from Internet to our SMTP server) and outgoing (from Unix SMTP server to ISP's SMTP server) connections.

2. Domains (in Mail settings). What does the program mean by "this domain is hosted locally"? Hosted by Wingate? Hosted by another machine in my LAN? What setting should I use given my situation, as described above?

3. Addresses (in Mail settings). Do I need to enter the user names here, given that the Unix machine will do the delivery to users?

4. Server Domain name (in Mail settings). We have an MX record that sends e-mail intended for someone@company.com to company.tzo.com (which translates to the IP address of our DSL connection). Should I enter
"company.tzo.com" under Server Domain name?

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel
grtoro

Return to WinGate