Disconnected every 10 to 15 minutes

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Disconnected every 10 to 15 minutes

Postby wingate_user » Oct 29 03 9:27 am

Tech Support or anyone -

I'm having trouble with my Wingate Server, it kept on showing error message 'Connect with Wingate Server Terminated' after using for 10 to 15 minutes. I'm running Win2k, removed scanning parts. Did a clean installation along with latest hot fixes. Still facing same problem.
>Mark
wingate_user

Postby neil » Oct 29 03 10:49 am

I take it this message pops up in Gatekeeper, and it is the connection between Gatekeeper and WinGate that has been terminated?! When you receive this message is it then possible to re-establish the conenction again?!

We don't recommend leaving Gatekeeper logged in for long periods of time when unattended. Not only is there obvious security issues, but also a fair amount of processing time is required / spent pushing all the information from the WinGate Engine to Gatekeeper, which will degrade performance over time.

Having said this, you still shouldn't experience the Gatekeeper connection being terminated in this way. What version of WinGate are you using? Is this SP4 on W2K? Is there anything on this machine that may be doing something every 10 - 15 mins?! ie maybe a virus scanning checking drives etc?!

Regards,

Neil
neil
Qbik Staff

Postby wingate_user » Oct 30 03 12:43 am

Neil -

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm running Win2K SP4 with Wingate 5.0.10 (build 848) installed.

Everytime I exit the WinGate GateKeeper, after 10 to 15 minutes, it disconnected. However, it will allow me to reconnect which is PITA.

It does not have anti-virus software on it yet because I'm trying to solve this issue before install the virus software. Only one machine is connected to the WinGate which is Mac, I'm pretty sure it's not the issue with Mac and WinGate because I have been using it for last 2 to 3 years.

Perhaps I wasn't clear - I'm speaking of the engine not the gatekeeper, after close the GateKeeper, the engine stop every 5 to 10 minutes.

TIA!!
>Mark
wingate_user

Postby DBeard » Oct 30 03 3:12 am

Does the engine start back up?
Does the service actually stop?

I have not noticed that my service stops and restarts.
But I do enounter the problem where the wingate engine stops responding (ie.. passing requests to the internet) between 1 and 10 times an hour.

This problem is an app killer for me and I'm anxiously awaiting a patch that hopefully corrects this problem, because otherwise, I can not use this product.
DBeard

Postby wingate_user » Nov 04 03 3:19 am

Does the engine start back up? No, I have to start it manually.

Does the service actually stop? Yes

I'm not logged into Gatekeeper, however when i'm done i select exit.

I'm using 5.0.10 on Win2K SP4.

TIA,
>Mark
wingate_user

Postby DBeard » Nov 04 03 3:45 am

sounds like a different issue from mine.
DBeard

Postby adrien » Nov 04 03 3:18 pm

We have not had any other reports of the engine terminating like this.

How are you using the WinGate engine? Are you using ENS? Or just proxies? Which ones?

Do you notice anything strange happening before the engine terminates?

Are you absolutely positive the engine is actually terminating? if it is, you should no longer see the wingate.exe process listed in task manager etc.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby wingate_user » Nov 06 03 2:14 am

Adrien -

Sorry it took me a while to reply because I'm keep track of what happens with the WinGate. Here's the latest status:

1) WinGate has been installed on Win2k SP4 with nothing else on it
2) I'm using the ENS
a) Firewall - set to low
b) checked for General Purpose Internet Sharing (NAT)
3) only one machine (Macintosh) is connected to the WinGate
4) After see the red icon, I checked the Task Manager, the wingate.exe isn't there - after I restart the engine, it shows up
5) No, I don't notice any strange happening before it shut down

Any idea? :(
>Mark
wingate_user

Postby VreebieS » Nov 06 03 8:29 pm

As for the disconnection of GateKeeper after a period of time, yes I experienced that problem too. At first, I thought that this is for security purposes, like timing out after period of inactivity.

But the problem is, it is NOT due to inactivity. One time while I was in the middle of adding some ports in ENS Rule, it suddenly disconnected. This is somewhat annoying because I need to add the ports all over again (settings are not saved unless you press ok/apply). And when I click "Go Online", it refuses to connect and says SOCKET ERROR. So the GateKeeper need to be closed completely and opened again in order to reConnect.

This is happened in 5.0.10 only, I hope WinGate team can fix this issue.
VreebieS

Postby chr » Nov 07 03 12:50 am

I have experinced the same problem, check for worms and other processes that can choke Wingate, since i remoeved a worm it goes like a watch.
chr

Finally at last - a fix!

Postby wingate_user » Nov 11 03 12:23 am

Greetings -

After upgrading the WinGate to 5.1.0 (build 867), the connection become 24/7 now! Thanks to the Qbik Crew for fixing whatever the bug was!

Thanks again,
>Mark
wingate_user

Return to WinGate