VPOP3 & Wingate 5.0.10 on same machine - dialer conflict

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

VPOP3 & Wingate 5.0.10 on same machine - dialer conflict

Postby abbobast » Oct 29 03 12:24 pm

Hi this is my first post on this forum and I am very much a novice when it comes to Wingate.

My problem is this: I have a Windows 2000 Professional PC (SP4) with a 56k analogue modem attached. This machine runs both Wingate 5.0.10 and VPOP3 (v2.0g) email server. The Wingate seems to work OK for sharing the internet connection but problems arise when the VPOP tries to dial on the hour to handle the emails. You see both apps are configured to use dialup connections on the same modem. Things seem OK for a while but after a few dials I end up with "Error 619: the specified port is not connected". The only way to remedy this is to shutdown the pc and restart, things are then OK for a while and then......back to square 1.

I've tried to configure VPOP to connect via the LAN (through Wingate)rather than RAS but it won't connect - it doesn't even try to dial! Is this possible - can I configure my VPOP server to send/receive mail through Wingate, thereby forcing the dialup. If so how??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Paul Kavanagh
abbobast

Postby neil » Oct 30 03 6:12 pm

You should be able to use Wingate's proxies. Just gave it a quick go here, and in VPOP's settings under 'External Mail' - 'In Mail' i set the option of 'Pop3 Server address' to the internal IP (ie 192.168.0.1). Then under the option for 'POP3 Account Username' entered the details i would as if i were going to go via the Wingate pop3 proxy, ie bob#mail.isp.com:110 and then entered the password as per usual. All the other VPOP settings were left on defaults. This way the pop3 proxy initiates the dial (and VPOP is set to use the network not hte dial up).

(A note of caution, due to a DNS hiccup - since been rectified for the next release, if you are using 5.0.8 - 5.0.10 then you may need to make an entry in your HOSTS file for the IP of your mail server you are trying to connect to. This can be done through the DNS /WINS resolver in Gatekeeper)

Regards
Neil
neil
Qbik Staff

Postby abbobast » Oct 31 03 1:44 am

Thanks Neil, I'll give it a whirl and let you know the outcome.

Paul.
abbobast

Return to WinGate