Wingate on a 2K Active Directory Domain Controller

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate on a 2K Active Directory Domain Controller

Postby jbauman » Oct 29 03 6:18 pm

I have a one 2K server running AD for my domain using DNS2GO running the Wingate Server, my question is about DNS. MS says you have to run a DNS server with AD. If so, is Wingate's DNS good enough? Also, I have a problem with client computers logging on to the domain unless they wait about 5 minutes for the 'Connected to WinGate on Server' box to come up. If they log on before that, the svchost.exe uses up about 95% of the CPU, then the 'WinGate Internet Client Applet' has to be reset and the computer rebooted. Any suggestions?
jbauman

Postby neil » Oct 30 03 4:07 pm

IF you are using AD then i woudl suggest that you use MS's DNS, and then either disable Wingates DNS (If wingate is on the domain controller machine) or add a forwarder to MS's DNS server to point at Wingate if they are on seperate machines. In all cases you should point client PC's DNS to the domain controller, and their default gateway to the Wingate PC. (This setup assumes you are using NAT).

As for hte slow login. I've been playing around with that this afternoon. After a bit of messing around, i did manage to get it to take about 3 or so mins to login, but this involved installing the WGIC while the client PC had an ip for one subnet, and then as soon as it was installed, releasing that ip, and obtaining a new one for a different subnet, before logging off and trying to log back on. This seemed to cause an issue with lsass.exe. I shall look in to this further, but if you could give me more details about how you were logged in when you installed WGIC (to the local machine / domain, which user etc) what you did next (reboots etc). this may help.

Regards
Neil
neil
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate