Wingate constantly crashes

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate constantly crashes

Postby tony.carr » Oct 29 03 9:05 pm

I have been using Wingate V4.4.0 for a year now with very few problems. In the last 2 weeks though Wingate has started crashing at least once a day. The symptoms are that Internet access through the proxy server fails and if I try to stop Wingate the service never stops, resulting in the system being rebooted. I noticed another topic on the forum that seemed to be related but that user upgraded to the latest version of Wingate which still didn't fix his problems (I am being advised to do this by my reseller). As with that user I have also recently upgraded to W2000 SP4 having previously installed the MSBlast patch. Has anyone had similar problems or can suggest a fix?

Regards

Tony
tony.carr

Postby neil » Oct 30 03 3:58 pm

So are you still using 4.4.0 or have you tried the newer version (I would encourage you to try this newer version, your version 4 key will work in it, so you'll get all the benifit of bug fixes since your release - although you wont get any of the new features, such as the mail server).

Also you could try the usual practice of stopping the wingate engine and deleting the two history.* files for the wingate directory. Moreover you could delete / turn off some logging. Do you have much free disk space?

Have you installed any other applications on your server recently, and more specifically around the time that wingate started to experience some problems?!

Regards

Neil
neil
Qbik Staff

Postby tony.carr » Oct 30 03 9:23 pm

When you say newer version do you mean V5.0.10?
Going by the previous topic this didn't cure the problem.

It's alright suggesting stopping the Wingate engine but what if it doesn't stop. I tried clicking on the stop engine but when I try to open gatekeeper it just tells me that the service is in the process of shutting down but it never does. All I can do at this stage is reboot the system which is a bit drastic and has a knock-on affect with my mail server.

The only other application that has been installed recently was McAfee VirusScan. I have installed all the latest Windows security updates including SP4 but this was all done 2-3 weeks before the crashes started.

Regards

Tony
tony.carr

Postby labull » Oct 31 03 2:33 am

Tony,

Stop the engine before it hangs and delete the files. This may prevent future hangs.

Larry
labull
WinGate Guru

Postby DBeard » Nov 01 03 10:34 am

I don't know about Tony, but this does not solve my hangs.
I need an answer from someone at Qbik. I feel I'm being ignored and this problem is not being addressed. For me the application is dead/unusuable.
DBeard

Postby labull » Nov 01 03 11:08 am

Ignoring people is not Qbik's style.

They are, no doubt, working on all known problems including yours.

Fixes to problems aren't overnight things. The problem has to be identified, a resolution identified, coded and then the resolution must be tested.

This takes time.

Qbik has mentioned several times in this forum that they are working on a new release. I'm sure they want it out as much as we do but they also want to make sure they get it right.

All your posts in various places are making it difficult to find or remember exactly what your problem was.

I don't remember what version you're running. 5.0.7 is the most stable.

Larry
labull
WinGate Guru

Postby adrien » Nov 01 03 1:38 pm

One other thing (thanks for your comments by the way Larry).

Running a 3rd party AV scanning product on certain WinGate directories can create problems.

The log files and history that WinGate writes to often would create quite a workload for your AV scanner.

We strongly recommend configuring your AV to not scan the WinGate directories.

Even though you installed this 2 weeks ago, it is possible that since then certain WinGate log files have grown to a stage where it takes longer to scan them than the time interval between writes to them by WinGate, thereby creating a downwards spiral in your performance.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate