Mail Server Setup

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Mail Server Setup

Postby grtoro » Nov 04 03 8:55 am

I have been using the SMTP Proxy server, but I would like to switch th the new SMTP server (as recommended by Tim in an earlier response), but I have some questions and would appreciate some guidance.

Here is my situation. Incoming mail comes from the Internet (through the Wingate machine) to a Unix machine in the LAN (the Unix machine runs Sendmail and POP3). Outgoing mail is sent by that Unix machine to the ISP's SMTP server (through the Wingate machine).

Here are my questions:

1. Bindings and interfaces (in SMTP server settings). should I have both the inside and outside IP addresses as bindings? What about the interfaces? The concept of binding and interface is not clear here, as we are dealing with both incoming (from Internet to our SMTP server) and outgoing (from Unix SMTP server to ISP's SMTP server) connections.

2. Domains (in Mail settings). What does the program mean by "this domain is hosted locally"? Hosted by Wingate? Hosted by another machine in my LAN? What setting should I use given my situation, as described above?

3. Addresses (in Mail settings). Do I need to enter the user names here, given that the Unix machine will do the delivery to users?

4. Server Domain name (in Mail settings). We have an MX record that sends e-mail intended for someone@company.com to company.tzo.com (which translates to the IP address of our DSL connection). Should I enter
"company.tzo.com" under Server Domain name?

5. When I briefly ran the SMTP server, I got some messages like "mail was rejected because computer xxxx lied to us." What is the cause for this? Could we be rejecting valid e-mails by setting up very strict anti-spam standards?

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel
grtoro

Postby adrien » Nov 04 03 3:26 pm

OK

1. You would bind to both internal and external interfaces.
2. On the delivery tab, you would specify "another server is handling mail" and enter the IP address of your sendmail machine
3. You would enter the domains that the sendmail hosts in your local domains in wingate as well, otherwise the mail to them will be rejected.

you shouldn't need to set up addresses, since actually this panel will be disabled when you do 2. above.

As for the final issue - "this server lied to us" happens if the server sends a HELO command, where instead of a domain name, they specify an IP address, and that IP address is not their IP address.

Some lame mail delivery systems and many spammer use the IP address of the server they are connecting to (totally contrary to the RFC) rather than their own.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate