Java Logon applet wont load

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Java Logon applet wont load

Postby alejandroc » Nov 04 03 2:03 pm

Hi,
After installing the Java Runtime envorinment on the client PCs, the java applet for logging in doesn't load. The small window opens but its all grey with no input boxes. All I get is a small Java logo.
We're using 5.10 and proxy settings. We're in the process of enabling access restrictions, but the applet doesn't seem to load with Sun's JRE (the latest one, 1.4.2 I believe). I does work with the old MS Java VM, but MS isn't distributing it anymore. Any clues anyone?

Oh, BTW. When the applet tries to load, a blank SOCKS:// connection appears in the activity pane in gatekeeper and neve disappears. Please, can anyone let me know if there's anything I can do to get it to work?
alejandroc

Postby neil » Nov 04 03 3:03 pm

At first I was getting the same as you. On an XP SP1a machine with sun java
1.4.2 installed, I was getting the applet screen pop up but remained with just a
coffee cup (i think) icon in the corner of it. So this is what I did to get java
auth to work:

- In Gatekeeper set up the WWW proxy as you would for requiring users to use the
java login as per normal.

- In Gatekeeper in the Sock Proxy properties, under the Socks Advanced tab -
HTTP Protocol, set the 'Use Following Policy' to WWW Proxy Server.

- On the client PC - In IE's properties under Tools - Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings
- Advanced, make sure you only have the SOCKS option set to point to the WinGate
Socks proxy. (ie nothing in the HTTP option etc)

- On the client PC - In the Windows Control Panel, you should have an option called Java Plug-In.
Open this and go to the Proxies tab. Untick 'Use Browser Settings' and enter the
WinGate machines ip for ONLY the HTTP option (with of course port 80). 'Apply'
this setting.

Now when you open IE you should get the JAVA auth applet displayed correctly.
This set up means that all you IE connections will go via socks, (but with the
WWW proxy policies and caching etc), but all JAVA connections the applet will
make directly to the WWW proxy independantly.

Regards
Neil
neil
Qbik Staff

Postby alejandroc » Nov 05 03 4:54 am

Thanks, Niel.

I tried changing the proxies configuration in the Java Plug In, as suggested, and now it works! -thanks. I didn't change the IE proxy configuration, though, because we have a few users who need to use the FTP or HTTP directly sometimes. Do you think that leaving IE proxy without change can give me trouble later? Anyway, I appreciate VERY much you quick helpful response.

Alejandro Calderon
Guatemala.
alejandroc

Return to WinGate