5.0.10 syptoms of a memory leak

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

5.0.10 syptoms of a memory leak

Postby Chris Webb » Nov 04 03 11:03 pm

I installed 5.0.10 on an XP Pro workstation with 256Mb RAM last week. This is the only app on it apart from Network Associates Total Virus Defence, and services a max of 12 users for Internet and email access. Yesterday the display dropped to 4-bit colour and 640x480 and the event log showed a multitude of "The server was unable to allocate a work item 6 times in the last 60 seconds." and "The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty." messages. Anyone else seen this/suggest cures?
Chris W
Chris Webb

Postby ngrayson » Nov 05 03 10:38 am

Using windows98SE and my memory disappears also with 5.0.10.

I ran sysmon and plotted the Allocated memory and locked memory over night, looging to file on a 10s interval. No users active and no applications active other than WIngates scheduler.

I imported the results as a CSV into Excel and plotted a chart. Allocated memory ramps steadily and lock memory shows spikes (of 4096 bytes) which sometimes staircase.

Can't say yours is the same because memory managment is supposed to be better on NT base systems (as XP is). It would be interesting to know however

I have sent information into QBIK on this one but if yours shows the same results, it may be of further help to them.
ngrayson

Postby chr » Nov 07 03 1:28 am

Yes, i saw the same on one of my installations, check for worms and other processes that can choke Wingate, also many of todays AV-software is using ports that Wingate also wants to use.
chr

Postby ngrayson » Nov 07 03 3:02 am

Yes but unless my antvirus software is wrong, I'm a clean boy althoug happy to be proven wrong.
ngrayson

Postby chr » Nov 07 03 4:40 am

Is there a chance that you can try without Av-software. I an experinicieng the same problem and would like to know exactly how it appears to You.
chr

Postby ngrayson » Nov 08 03 1:00 am

I'll have to see what happens now, I've upgraded to 5.1.

If its still a problem, I'll take of the AV software and try it again.
ngrayson

Return to WinGate