Ftp proxy port redirection - setup help

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Ftp proxy port redirection - setup help

Postby rwaddell1 » Jul 14 05 5:06 am

Hello,

Our company is currently upgrading our Wingate version from 3.0.5 to 6.0.4
We are very happy with how this new version works except with the proxy redirection. We are having bad luck with that part.

We have the need to run a proxy redirect for some of our virus scan updates. Clients connect to ftp://"whatsupPC":2121 and they are automatically sent to ftp://ftp.mcafee.com:21
In the ver 3 this works great. In version 6 it appears to be stopping after initial connection is made and transfers are started.
to clarify, we can log into the site using anonymous and when the directory listing starts nothing is ever received.

It appears that initial connection to the ftp.mcafee.com site is achieved on port 21 and then when information is sent back to us a socks connection is attempted using various ports.
I have tried connecting using active and passive ftp with the same results.

My firewall settings are custom, only letting in the exact ports needed, when I change the setting to "allow" for connections from the internet active ftp works great, but it is still using other ports than 21 for the return trip.

Is there away to have this work again without opening up all incoming ports?

If I have missed some details please let me know. I appreciate any help and ideas that can be suggested.

Thank you very much for your time.

Robert
rwaddell1

Return to WinGate