FTP setup

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

FTP setup

Postby ron » Nov 11 03 11:57 am

I am trying to setup the Wingate Proxy server Version 5.0.4 to work with FTP. I don’t have a lot of knowledge getting this to work. We currently have a T1 line connected to a 1 NIC card in the PC and the 2nd NIC card goes to our internal network. We currently are able using Microsoft Internet explorer to get the Internet from any workstation. Using the proxy server PC I am able to ping the external address that I want to FTP to. When I go to a workstation on our network I am not able to FTP or ping that external address. What do I need to do to get FTP to work with Wingate proxy server?
I don’t know if there is any additional information that is needed to help me get started on setting up the Wingate to use FTP.
ron

Re: FTP setup

Postby Ricardo » Nov 11 03 11:42 pm

First have FTP proxy server running on the wingate server machine. Then have your FTP client in your workstation configured to access wingate. You will have an option called Firewall inside your FTP client software. You should enable Firewall option and inform the wingate machine IP address and port number. Firewall option usually is in the options menu. It depends on your FTP client. This is the way I get to FTP through workstations. Hope it helps you!

ron wrote:I am trying to setup the Wingate Proxy server Version 5.0.4 to work with FTP. I don’t have a lot of knowledge getting this to work. We currently have a T1 line connected to a 1 NIC card in the PC and the 2nd NIC card goes to our internal network. We currently are able using Microsoft Internet explorer to get the Internet from any workstation. Using the proxy server PC I am able to ping the external address that I want to FTP to. When I go to a workstation on our network I am not able to FTP or ping that external address. What do I need to do to get FTP to work with Wingate proxy server?
I don’t know if there is any additional information that is needed to help me get started on setting up the Wingate to use FTP.
Ricardo

Postby erwin » Nov 12 03 9:01 am

Hi Ron

As per the WinGate helpfile there are numerous methods of connection your clients can be set up to use thru WinGate to access the internet regardless of what protocols(such as http,ftp etc) they wish to use.
The three methods are NAT (Network Address Translation) WinGate Internet Client (WGIC), and Proxy (per Application) which is the method it sounds like your clients are using to access the internet using IE.

I will briefly overview the clients setup:

On the client workstation make sure their gateway and dns network settings are set to point at the Internal IP address of the WinGate machine( the NIC connected to the rest of the network) This is the NAT method. This will make sure that all their Internet requests Web,Ftp etc are sent to the WinGate machine.

Then depending on which FTP application you use you should be able to instigate a session from the client workstation. Simple command line ftp will work well in this scenario and the benefit is you can test connectivity at the same time thru PING.

With WGIC method the WGIC applet(found in the control panel) once installed on each client workstation the client PC can set themselves to be pointed at the WinGate server.

With the last method of Proxy(by application) most FTP programs (such as CuteFtp and Terrapin) allow you to specify a proxy to use , if this is the case then specify the IP address of the Internal NIC of the WinGate Machine.

WinGate of course will then handle the FTP session with no need for further configuration on the WinGate server. You can see if the FTP session is taking place in the Activity panel of GateKeeper.

Hope this helps

Regards

Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate