I really need help with multiple gateways...

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

I really need help with multiple gateways...

Postby 911nimo » Jun 11 10 4:38 am

Hello, First of all sorry for my rusty english...

I want to know if wingate can do what i need it to do before i purchase it...

I have access to 2 different gateways each on a separate Network with their own internet connection with different ISPs...
1- A private LAN with default gateway 10.0.0.1 ( server running MikroTik RouterOS and I have to login each session before I can access the internet)
2- A public wireless AP with default gateway 192.168.1.1

and here what I want to do...
I want to use each of the connections with different applications... for example ...
all internet connections through the mikrotik gateway...
and use firefox only through the wireless gateway and never through the mikrotik gateway even if the Wi-Fi is down...

and here what i did...
I installed WinGate trial and configured it as follows...
1. installed it as a server ,using windows user database and did NOT install ENS...
2. disabled the following services: DHCP, Winsock, GDP, DNS, POP3, SMTP, IMAP4
3. disabled cache lookup and additions to cache
4. removed all services except WWW proxy
5. configured WWW proxy on port 8080, changed binding to 127.0.0.1 only
6. changed gateway scheme to use all specified connections in rotation, and only added the wireless adapter with any gateway/any IP settings
7. configured firefox to use proxy 127.0.0.1:8080

the problem: it's NOT working...
Now I try to navigate to google.com and i get the mikrotik Login Page! and I Login and it's using the wired connection... i disabled the proxy in firefox... navigated to google.com and i got the login Page again! the session was reset... it seems that win gate is Only using the wired connection and resetting the session somehow when i enable/disable proxy settings in firefox...

it seems that the only way to use the wireless connection is to disable the wired LAN or through a VMware Machine configured to use the Wi-Fi dongle... and i really need to get them both working as i described....

anything i am doing wrong? any help?

P.S.
I am using Windows XP SP3 with Outpost Security Suite Pro 2009

List of Interfaces from ipconfig /all

Physical NICs
1. Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E GBE
2. TP-LINK TL-WN821N 11N Wireless Adapter
Vmware NICs
3. VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1
4. VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8
also, I am using AICCU with AYIYA SixXs tunnel for IPv6 connectivity... so I have...
5. TAP-Win32 Adapter V8 ( IPv6 gateway )
6. Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
7. Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
8. Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
9. Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
10. Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
11. Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Thanks in advance....
911nimo

Re: I really need help with multiple gateways...

Postby adrien » Jun 11 10 2:18 pm

Hi

Gateway selection (the gateway tab in a proxy) requires ENS to be installed, since it overrides OS routing. I guess I should probably hide that tab if ENS not installed!

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby 911nimo » Jun 11 10 2:58 pm

Thanks adrien, I reinstalled with ENS and disabled it's firewall, unchecked all except "enable extended network driver"... and the proxy successfully connects through the wireless connection BUT...

when i disconnect the wireless connection the proxy seem to failover to the other LAN and connects anyway... I do NOT want it to do that, I just want to get the "unable to connect" or "connection timeout" or whatever error if the wireless connection is off...

P.S.
gateway scheme is set to "use all specified connections in rotation", and only added the wireless adapter NOT "use specified connection in priority order (failover)"

Thanks again...
911nimo

Postby adrien » Jun 11 10 6:55 pm

Hi

when you disconnect the wireless, does the adapter disappear from GateKeeper?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby 911nimo » Jun 12 10 2:47 am

Hello,

If you mean in the main gateway window,
yes... when I completely remove the dongle, it's still there... and when it's plugged but not connected to the AP, it's there with a red X icon...

If you mean in the gateway policy window,
it's not there in both cases...
911nimo

Postby adrien » Jun 12 10 3:46 am

Hi

Do you have monitoring for dead gateways turned on in Extended Networking? If so, try turning it off.

Also, try specifying to bind to a particular interface in the gateway settings for the proxy.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby 911nimo » Jun 12 10 2:48 pm

monitoring for dead gateways is off...

I removed the binding to 127.0.0.1 in the proxy option and configured it to bind to the wireless interface... it's finally working correctly BUT... the catch is, now the proxy IP is dynamic and I have to configure firefox every time I get a new IP from the AP... Is there a way to get the proxy working on 127.0.0.1
911nimo

Postby adrien » Jun 13 10 1:45 pm

the proxy should already be bound to 127.0.0.1, but if it isn't edit the WWW proxy in GateKeeper, select the bindings tab, and make a rule to get it to bind to the localhost adapter.

Or do you mean the outbound LAN IP of your proxy is dynamic?
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby 911nimo » Jun 13 10 8:46 pm

when i add 127.0.0.1 to the bindings along with the wireless connection binding in the WWW proxy in GateKeeper and use 127.0.0.1:8080 as proxy address in firefox, it fails over to the wired connection when the wireless in not connected...

it only works right if i use the dynamic ip 192.168.1.X given by the AP via DHCP as proxy address...

for some reason using 127.0.0.1 overrides the binding to the absent wireless connection configured in GateKeeper... is it a bug or something?? any help??
911nimo

Postby adrien » Jun 13 10 8:51 pm

OK, you could try using the name "wingate" as the setting for proxy.

WinGate will respond to that with whatever IP the request was received on.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby 911nimo » Jun 14 10 3:42 am

do you mean that i use "wingate:8080" as proxy address in firefox?

I did that and firefox returned "Unable to find the proxy server" ... :(

any suggestions ?
911nimo

Postby Nev » Jun 15 10 4:35 pm

911nimo wrote:do you mean that i use "wingate:8080" as proxy address in firefox?

I did that and firefox returned "Unable to find the proxy server" ... :(

any suggestions ?

Hi,

A neat feature of Wingate is the ability to 'Clone' a service.

In the Control panel select the WWW proxy and right click for 'Clone Service' then choose another name eg; Wireless WWW Proxy.

Set the port it listens on and the gateway it connects through as you have done before, making sure that the listening port doesn't clash with other listeners' in Wingate so 3128 or 8080 could be a choice.

Set FireFox to use this Proxy from the clients, is that close to what you need?
--
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby 911nimo » Jun 16 10 9:58 am

Nev wrote:Hi,

A neat feature of Wingate is the ability to 'Clone' a service.

In the Control panel select the WWW proxy and right click for 'Clone Service' then choose another name eg; Wireless WWW Proxy.

Set the port it listens on and the gateway it connects through as you have done before, making sure that the listening port doesn't clash with other listeners' in Wingate so 3128 or 8080 could be a choice.

Set FireFox to use this Proxy from the clients, is that close to what you need?

Hi Nev,
That just creates a new proxy with the same settings on a different port, that does not help me at all...

I still have the problem with unwanted failover, when I use 127.0.0.1:8080 as proxy address it failsover to the wired connection when the wireless is not available... the only way I got wingate to never failover to the wired connection is using the dynamic IP "192.168.1.X:8080" given to me by the AP as proxy address but that way I have to reconfigure firefox proxy settings every time I reconnect the wireless connection...

Thanks anyways...
911nimo

Postby Nev » Jun 19 10 4:28 pm

911nimo wrote:Hi Nev,
That just creates a new proxy with the same settings on a different port, that does not help me at all...

Yes ok, but what happens in that cloned proxy on an alternate port when you set the gateway to a specific adaptor, does it work then?
--
Nev.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby 911nimo » Jun 20 10 9:16 am

hello Nev,

the cloned proxy acts the same... when the wireless is connected, it uses the wireless gateway OK, but when the wireless is not available it still failsover to use the other wired connection...
911nimo

Postby adrien » Jun 22 10 11:26 pm

Hi

Not sure if there is really a way around this issue. My suggestion about using WinGate DNS to resolve a name lookup for the name "WinGate" to the IP of the interface the DNS request was received on would depend on being able to get your client to use itself as a DNS server.

If you're using the fact that the interface becomes unavailable when the wireless is not connected, which therefore removes the binding, and FF fails to connect to the proxy, this would also cause a problem for DNS as well, since you'd need to set this same IP as the DNS resolver to use.

WinGate proxies won't assign a gateway to use for a connection if that gateway is deemed not to exist, so when the wireless disconnects, it will fail over to using the system route table (which is what you don't want).

I think WinGate 7 will however do what you want, since you can use policy to force it to attempt to use a specific gateway on a per-request basis. If you'd like to try that let me know.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate