Socket Error

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Socket Error

Postby rboynton » Apr 08 11 5:56 am

We are starting to see a lot of socket errors when trying to go to various websites. The network is 2008 AD. The funny thing is if the user pushes the F5 key immediately after getting the socket error screen, the site comes up.
...Rick
rboynton

Re: Socket Error

Postby rboynton » Apr 08 11 10:44 am

Update: I had all of the browsers set to use a proxy setting, the IP of the WG server and the WWW proxy server's port of 8080. For kicks, I set the browser to "no proxy". The page loads were many times faster... with no socket errors. Wow! Nothing like stumbling into something that works!
...Rick
rboynton

Postby adrien » Apr 08 11 11:17 am

This is WG6 right?

the DNS resolver on WG6 has a few issues (which is why we completely re-wrote it for 7).

Do logs indicate it was DNS lookup failures? Also, you're running WinGate on a VM there right? Is it a grunty enough box? Are you also running Kaspersky AV for WinGate?

time to get that WG7 fixed.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby rboynton » Apr 08 11 12:57 pm

adrien wrote:This is WG6 right?

Yep.

adrien wrote:Do logs indicate it was DNS lookup failures? Also, you're running WinGate on a VM there right? Is it a grunty enough box? Are you also running Kaspersky AV for WinGate?

I never even looked at the logs. Could be though. Seemed like things were just sluggish, like the packets were bouncing around. I checked each network adapter setting at least a dozen times just to make sure!

Yes, the VM host is a beefy box. Dell T610 with two quad core procs and 12g RAM. Have six VM's running on it, and they run very well indeed. I'll say amen to getting the WG7 fixed! Was glad to get "anything" going earlier today though!
...Rick
rboynton

Postby adrien » Apr 08 11 5:08 pm

yeah, sounds like this could be the same problem that's causing you issues with mail.

I can have a look with RDP if you like.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby ma.vicente@apm.es » Jun 22 11 12:53 am

We have the same problem with Wingate 6.6.4. The WG is installed over one of the DCs of the network with Windows 2003 EE SP2. WG worked well for several weeks but now can't browse on Internet with Proxy configuration (WG return SOCKET ERROR). I have checked all DNS settings and are correct. What can we do?

Thank you very much
ma.vicente@apm.es

Postby adrien » Jun 22 11 2:08 am

Hi

do you see failures reported in the DNS resolver logs?

It's possible even with manually configured DNS servers in the DNS resolver settings, that it will choose instead servers it discovers from the OS, e.g. :

* DNS servers specified in network adapters
* DNS servers negotiated by dialup connections

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby ma.vicente@apm.es » Jun 22 11 2:43 am

Adrien thanks for your answer. I've checked the log files of DNS resolver and I don't find failures. I have also tried to manually configure DNS settings in DNS resolver without result. Anything else I can check?

Thanks
ma.vicente@apm.es

Postby adrien » Jun 22 11 3:35 am

does it report any more information with the socket error such as:

* host name lookup failed
* connection to ... timed out

etc?

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby ma.vicente@apm.es » Jun 22 11 3:59 am

Hi

The specific error is 'Connection to Remote Host timed out'. I'm attaching a screenshot where it appears the page request in GateKeeper. As you can see the error appears in the browser on the same host of WG in addition to all proxy clients.

SOCKET_ERROR.JPG
Screenshot
SOCKET_ERROR.JPG (79.17 KiB) Viewed 9557 times

Thanks
ma.vicente@apm.es

Postby adrien » Jun 22 11 4:10 am

Hi

the significant piece of information is the "connection to remote host timed out".

If we were chasing a DNS error, it would be showing a different reason phrase, like "hostname lookup for ... failed".

Connection timeouts can happen for a number of reasons, but I'd be looking at your internet connection (can you browse from the WinGate computer, not through a proxy?)

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby ma.vicente@apm.es » Jun 22 11 4:27 am

Hi

I can browse from the WinGate computer disabling the proxy settings without problems and fast. What do you need to know?

Thanks
ma.vicente@apm.es

Postby adrien » Jun 22 11 8:17 pm

do you have any connection settings or gateway settings specified on the WWW proxy?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby ma.vicente@apm.es » Jun 22 11 8:43 pm

Hi

On WWW proxy I have the next settings:

* Connection: connection to servers are made 'Directly'
* Gateways: is the same that 'local area connection'

In addition this morning appeared the following system message:

Object: ENS
Time: 22-Jun-2011 9:13:55
Message ID: 0705
Description: Undefined ENS memory problem - possible cause: memory exhaustion. Statistics: Kernel mem: 0, Frag mem: 0

I don't know if there is any relation

Thanks
ma.vicente@apm.es

Postby adrien » Jun 22 11 9:51 pm

Hi

Can you remove the gateway setting? Set to "use any available connection".

The ENS memory problem is also a problem. Did this only start happening now you have the other problem?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby ma.vicente@apm.es » Jun 22 11 11:19 pm

Hi Adrien,

It seems that for now works well after erase the gateway settings. We will checking the browser to determine if the problem appears.

Thank you very much
ma.vicente@apm.es

Postby jlaf198 » Jun 14 12 4:29 am

i have wingate 7.2 and i have a lot of "connection socket error...." really unusefull, when i jump proxy it works excellent. Anybody knows how ocurrs that?. It's is really imposible to navigate that way
jlaf198

Postby adrien » Jun 14 12 6:48 pm

Hi

what socket errors are you getting? There should be some specific problem reported (e.g. host name lookup failed).

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby Robert7 » Sep 30 12 6:13 am

I just upgraded from 6.2.2 to 6.4.4 and Im getting Socket Error (Connection to Remote Host timed out) error too.

Wasnt getting this back on 6.2.2.

Where can i look at to resolve this?
Robert7

Return to WinGate