About Error logs and warnings.

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

About Error logs and warnings.

Postby josh84 » Nov 01 11 6:10 am

hi,

What do the following strings mean with respect to DNS Client errors and warning;

1. Read error 10054 on our server 127.0.0.1, marking it for re-probe.
2. Error 10054 receiving from 127.0.0.1
3. responding with code 504 Host not found

There are a lot of these errors coming up in the log.
josh84

Re: About Error logs and warnings.

Postby adrien » Nov 01 11 8:20 am

josh84 wrote:hi,

What do the following strings mean with respect to DNS Client errors and warning;

1. Read error 10054 on our server 127.0.0.1, marking it for re-probe.
2. Error 10054 receiving from 127.0.0.1

these 2 are the same - it basically means the DNS client tried to send a request to 127.0.0.1, and got an error back that the port wasn't open - e.g. the DNS server wasn't running. It's possible you'd get this error if the rate of requests was overloading the DNS server as well, but I don't know how likely that is. is this WinGate running on the AD domain controller?

3. responding with code 504 Host not found

that means the DNS lookup failed, and we're telling the web client about it - so the page won't load.

There are a lot of these errors coming up in the log.

Sounds like you may need to do something with your DNS setup. WinGate can differentiate between servers to use for AD, and for internet. Check the forwarders in your DNS server as well.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby josh84 » Nov 01 11 8:51 am

Nope i am not running any AD. The server only runs WinGate 7 and mySQL server installed to chage the HTTP Cache. About the errors when u said "the server is receving lots of requests" does that mean the DNS client is not able to handle just one clients request ?

Since am running a trial version, there is only client connected to the server. Want to clear any doubts and issues before i buy the licensed version.

I will check upon the forwarding part and let you know my current configuration. What else should i be doing to get this resolved ? at times the client side browsing is also slow.

Regards,
Anish
josh84

Postby adrien » Nov 01 11 9:30 am

HI

WinGate DNS resolver can handle many many concurrent requests - i was referring to the DNS server you are running on that computer - you must be running a DNS server on that computer or you couldn't add 127.0.0.1 as a DNS server to your adapters. Or are you running WinGate's DNS server?

If the latter, make sure the 127.0.0.1 option is unchecked in the DNS client settings in WinGate, and enter an ISP DNS server instead.... or just post all your DNS settings here so we can see what's going on.

Regards

Adrien

p.s. performance can be DNS lookup lags, but if DNS is working, it could also be due to running the DB server on the same computer as WinGate.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby josh84 » Nov 01 11 9:41 am

Yes i am running the wingate DNS service and it is bound to the external IP address of the adator. Since we haven't got the ADSL connection (which we will be geting in a day or two) we are at the moment connceted via a usb modem and the connection shared accross 5 pc's on the lan.

The Wingate server has two NIC's. One is the extenal network (192.168.137.241) and the other is the internal network (10.10.10.1). so what you suggest is that i change the DNS server in the DHCP scope, rite ! or do i have to do that somewhere else ?

Regards,
Anish
josh84

Postby adrien » Nov 01 11 10:21 am

ok, how did you end up with 127.0.0.1 in the DNS client in WinGate? Did you enter that manually?

Normally DHCP gets the right DNS server (if it's WinGate DHCP), so shouldn't need to change that.

If you're using WinGate DNS server, and WinGate DNS client points to 127.0.0.1, that's a loop, since the WinGate DNS server uses the WinGate DNS client to look up the answers to queries, and you're telling the DNS client to then ask the server.

So I'd remove that entry in the DNS client settings. I think you'll find if you had probing enabled on it, it would be disabled anyway (unchecked for internal or internet lookups - empty usage column) because the probe would detect the loop.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby josh84 » Nov 01 11 6:41 pm

I don't remember adding localhost to anywhere in the DNS client. In the dhcp the DNS client is pointed to the wingate server that is 10.10.10.1. The DNS client service is bound to any ip address on the external adaptor. So where could be the problem ?

Regards,
Anish
josh84

Postby josh84 » Nov 01 11 10:40 pm

nothing seems to be wrong in the configuration. How can i post the DNS settings confi here ? The DNS setting that your refering is the DNS service in the service menu, rite ! where do i find the option for probing ?
josh84

Postby adrien » Nov 02 11 9:23 am

Hi

in the DNS client (control panel in WinGAte).

If you double click on a server listed there (an IP address) there's an option to probe for usage. That then figures out which of the 2 other options should be checked, e.g. whether it can do local lookups or internet ones.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby josh84 » Nov 02 11 11:03 pm

There is nothing by that name in the control panel. After Data is Events in the list shown in Control Panel.
josh84

Postby josh84 » Nov 02 11 11:04 pm

There is nothing by that name in the control panel. After Data is Events in the list shown in Control Panel. Is it because i updated from the previous WinGate 7 than uninstall the earlie one and install the new one ?
josh84

Postby adrien » Nov 03 11 9:32 am

HI

check in permissions that the DNS client is allowed for the user you're logged in as. Without the DNS client engine module, nothing would work, so it must be loaded.

If it is in permissions, and you have access, check in the modules panel to see that the DNS client user interface module is loaded.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby josh84 » Nov 03 11 11:27 pm

The administrator group did not have rights to change or view the DNS client. I've added the administrators group and restarted and there it was. I've unchecked the 127.0.0.1 option and no more warnings or errors. :)

regards,
Anish
josh84

Postby josh84 » Nov 04 11 12:07 am

I see in the log Authentication Failed to WWW proxy serve from source WinGate UDB. What does that mean ? and what does responding with code 504 mean ?
josh84

Postby josh84 » Nov 04 11 12:10 am

I see in the log Authentication Failed to WWW proxy serve from source WinGate UDB. What does that mean ? and what does responding with code 504 mean ?

another error log is this "ht socket exception in CWWWSession::OnRead() Connection Reset by Remote Host - terminating". What does that mean ?

Regards,
Anish
josh84

Postby adrien » Nov 04 11 8:10 am

that's the WinGate user database reporting that someone failed to authenticated via the WWW proxy.

Most likely the user's browser automatically tried to auth with their windows credentials first (silently to the user)

504 means gateway error - for some reason WinGate couldn't process the request... usually this is caused by a DNS lookup failure.

Conection reset, that just means eithe rthe client or server closed the connection while we were trying to send it something. Most likely the client (e.g. if user clicks on another link, or closes the browser).
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby josh84 » Nov 04 11 12:35 pm

ok ! so should i be worried about these errors in anyway ?

Thank you,
Anish
josh84

Postby adrien » Nov 21 11 10:29 am

You do not normally need to worry unless you get a lot of those 504 gateway errors. Those other ones are normal.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate