Permanent mail delivery failure questions

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Permanent mail delivery failure questions

Postby iburns » Feb 07 06 8:08 am

I had some questions about permanent mail delivery failures. It seems that when NDRs are generated from our internal mail server and passed to the Wingate server which acts as our outside mail gateway, I don't always understand Wingate's behavior. Wingate passes mail directly to the proper mail server for that destination domain.

The messages have no "FROM" and only a "TO". I can watch the system internal activity window and it will say something like: SMTP Delivery to domain.com [try 10] : server mailserver.domain.com rejected recipient user@domain.com (permanent). Now I interpret this as a permanent failure that should result in the message being moved to the dead folder. Instead the message stays listed in the messages for that domain.

Now if I send a message to the same recipient from my e-mail account, Wingate will bounce it after the specified time/number of tries with a reason of Failed all retries, giving up

Why do messages that are permanent failures not get moved to the dead folder? Or does the word "permanent" in the system internal activity window not mean what I think it means?

Thanks
iburns

Return to WinGate