one client establishing a VPN

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

one client establishing a VPN

Postby cporter » Nov 19 03 11:55 am

Hi guys,
I'm posting this here cause its not really a wingateVPN question since i dont want wingate to establish the vpn conection, i just want it to allow one computer to do it.

anyways, here's my question / problem... at the moment, we have 4 clients on our network, and 1 of them needs to be able to establish a vpn connection to a server outside of our wingate network. we have the basic settings for wingate set up, nothing special. but for some reason when the client attemps to connect to the remote vpn server, no data exchanges (i dont think it really even authenticates)..

after doing some research, i'm finding that a vpn server tries to establish a connection to the requesting computer (ip) after the initial request is made. that being said, i watched the tranaction attempt happen, and found that the vpn client attempts a UDP request on port 4500, then the server attempts a connection on port 500. so my next steps were to create a static IP for htat box, to give a set route each time, then to 'poke a hole' on 500, that goes directly to the client. nothing seems to happen after that though except for a bunch of requests from the client that seem to go unanswered. am i on the right path here, or am i way off?

what i'm really looking for helpwise here is a basic set of steps to do to get wingate to allow the vpn to be set up. if anyone can help with this, that would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!
-Chris
cporter

Postby erwin » Nov 20 03 9:02 am

Hi Chris

You will need to be running WinGate VPN on both ends of the connection for WinGate VPN to function. For an understanding of how WinGate VPN works visit

http://www.qbik.com/resources.php

There is an article on setting up WinGate VPN towards the top of the page.

Hope this helps

Regards

Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate