Send Message to Clients

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Send Message to Clients

Postby javila » Nov 20 03 1:05 pm

Hi, I would like to know the procediture to send messages to clients. I have tried with the scheduler but nothing happens, any ideas?

Javier
javila

Postby xtreme69 » Nov 21 03 6:47 am

Are you trying to send system messages to machines on a local network? Little confused by your question. If you are trying to do something like that, you could always write a little batch file that uses the "net send" command at a command prompt. You could then schedule the batch file to run in the scheduler.

I think the message size is limited quite a bit using that command though, so I suppose it depends on what size message you're trying to send.
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. -Wernher von Braun
xtreme69

messages to Clients

Postby javila » Nov 21 03 12:25 pm

I am trying to send the messages to the wingate clients, I understand that means the scheduler option or not?
This is my proceduture:

1.- Open the wingate's folder on the server chared folders, the I open the gatekeeper.exe (because the clasic way does not works!)

2. I go to the scheduler on the system TAB

3. Add an event called "advice to services sleep.." (or whatever)

4. set the hour and the ocurrence of these event

5. add an action to take efect on the defined event/hour

6. select the 'Do What:' "Send Message to clients" an in the Message field I put "En 5 minutos los servicios de internet y mail seran apagados" (that means that in five minutes the services will be shuted down).

7. OK, Accept,.... and rest to wait :P

This is what I do expecting that a message came to me (and the others) recive a message or somethign like that.

Thanks for the answer, and sorry for my english :D

Javier
javila

Postby ChrisH » Nov 21 03 1:22 pm

Javier,

You are setting up the scheduler the correct way! The clients will only receive the message if they log into the WG engine using GateKeeper. The message should appear in the remote Gatekeeper at the client machine. I think from your posting you are attempting to do this remotely - try setting the scheduler at the server and see if messages appear at clients GateKeeeper. Hmmm... having said this, I can't get a message to appear at clients either. I can only get the Reminder and System Reminder actions to show on the server machine - perhaps a bug? Hopefully someone from Qbik will look into it.
Chris H.
ChrisH
WinGate Master

no I got it

Postby javila » Nov 22 03 3:25 am

Thanks for that explanation, and for the gatekeeper test too.
javila

Now I got it

Postby javila » Nov 22 03 3:26 am

Thanks for that explanation, and for the gatekeeper test too.
javila

Return to WinGate