Upgrade from WinGate 6.6.4 to WinGate 8

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Upgrade from WinGate 6.6.4 to WinGate 8

Postby NOD4 » Apr 26 14 1:54 am

In my organization we use WinGate 6.6.4. Now we try to upgrade it to 8.2.0. Can you explane:
1. How can we arrange User by Account name. In Users and Groups panel I can't find appropriate column.
2. How can we use WinGate 6 per-user System policies, such as Traffic limitations for every user
4445134.jpg
4445134.jpg (27.97 KiB) Viewed 3478 times
, Time limitations
4445133.jpg
4445133.jpg (18.56 KiB) Viewed 3478 times
, Location limitations
4445132.jpg
4445132.jpg (20.41 KiB) Viewed 3478 times
Can you help to modelling suitable policies in WinGate 8.
Thank you.
NOD4

Re: Upgrade from WinGate 6.6.4 to WinGate 8

Postby adrien » Apr 28 14 11:41 am

Hi

there currently is no option to display account name in the users and groups panel. We can add one. One thing to keep in mind, is that in some cases there is no account name, e.g. it's an optional attribute in an AD user object.

in respect of your policy questions.

Time: the web access control rules allow you to specify 1/4 hr intervals in a weekly schedule per rule. You can also use a schedule item in flow-chart policy for other things than web access control.

Where: same, there's a where page in the web access control rules. In other rules (e.g. flow-chart) you can specify what values you will allow for Session.ClientIp to switch behaviour based on the client IP.

As for accounting data. There were many issues with the accounting system in WinGate 6. Least of its problems was lack of accuracy, since it only took into account payload sizes (not packet overheads) and didn't cover all traffic, so it was only ever in our opinion a poor approximation at usage. We looked long and hard for a way to do a better job in WinGate 7, and we didn't find a decent option in the timeframes, and since few people use it, it wasn't considered worth it to delay 7 due to this. Sorry that's not a great answer for your case.

We are still looking for good options for this that don't kill performance.

Regards

Adrien de Croy
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby NOD4 » Apr 21 16 2:08 am

Hi, Adrien.

Has anything changed about the points that I asked about two years ago?
NOD4

Postby adrien » Apr 21 16 8:44 pm

Hi

I saw your in-app feedback on this and replied to it, let me know if you didn't receive it.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate