socket error 10049 on client and error 504 on wingate activi

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

socket error 10049 on client and error 504 on wingate activi

Postby behnam » May 23 14 6:52 am

Hi all

when i set upstream proxy and after that i enable intercept proxy on port 80,socket error 10049 will pop up on client's browser and error 504 on wingate activity page
i read all posts about this issue and i got that the problem caused by dns lookups
but how can i solve this problem
please help
thank you

behnam
behnam

Re: socket error 10049 on client and error 504 on wingate ac

Postby behnam » May 24 14 3:59 am

hi again

can any body help me about this issue ?

please help!!!!!

thanks

behnam
behnam

Postby adrien » May 24 14 11:42 am

Hi

check in your logs, are there any errors being reported (global logs) about the DNS client?

in general, failures in DNS boil down to selection of appropriate DNS servers to use. This can depend on your LAN, e.g. in an AD, you would have the computer using the AD DNS server for DNS. Same with the other LAN computers. If so, can the AD DNS server look up internet names? It would need valid forwarders configured.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby behnam » May 25 14 1:44 am

hi dear Adrien

yes,in the log file, it says: " response code 3 (NXNAME) from 4.2.2.1, processing aborted " .
and i should tell you in dns client i had enter 4.2.2.1 as dns server in list and also 'use server for internet lookup' radio box is checked.
and another thin is, i use "simple dns plus" as dns server

what should i do now?

behnam
behnam

Postby behnam » May 25 14 1:55 am

sorry i,ve forget to say:

'simple dns plus' has AD capability and in client machines and in their command prom i enter for example "ping www.google.com -t" and it relays as well.
behnam

Postby behnam » May 26 14 7:58 am

hi Adrien

thanks for your replay.
i did some research about AD dns server

are you telling me that i must install windows server for AD dns server capabilities or not?

if not please tell me how can find AD dns server for windows 7 ?

thanks
behnam
behnam

Postby adrien » May 27 14 5:29 pm

Hi

you only need an AD DNS server if your network is running Active Directory. It sounds like it is not.

that was only given as an example.

Can you please provide details as follows:

1. what server(s) do client computers on the LAN use for DNS (e.g. WinGAte DNS server, ISP, some other DNS server on your LAN etc)
2. what server(s) does WinGate computer use for DNS
3. if there is some DNS server on your LAN, what does it use for forwarders.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby behnam » May 27 14 8:36 pm

hi Adrien

so sorry i didn't get your meaning,but:

my clients are every thing such as smart tvs and smart phones,so i can just set dns server address on them .
after i see wingate dns service didn't work for me(gave me socket error 10049), i install 'simple dns plus' on wingate machine and set it to forward requests to 4.2.2.1 as my destination dns server address,but that error still exists.
i hope this will help you to help me.
thanks
behnam
behnam

Postby behnam » May 27 14 8:51 pm

i had forget to say i set wingate machine local ip address as dns server to my clients and set this ip for their gateway ip address
the ip is 192.168.1.60 that is the static ip of wingate computer machine.

am i doing right ?

thanks

behnam
behnam

Postby adrien » May 27 14 9:54 pm

Hi

WinGate DNS server uses the WinGate DNS client to look up names, so if the DNS server didn't work for your clients, it's probably because the DNS client in WinGate wasn't configured properly.

You can add a server to use either in:

a) one of your LAN adapters (in TCP/IP configuration parameters)... in fact it should already have one here?
b) in WinGate's DNS client directly.

WinGate's DNS client will pick up any server specified in the network adapters in your system. So if WinGate was unable to resolve IP addresses, probably the WinGate computer is also unable to resolve DNS.

What sort of internet connection do you use? Normally a DSL/NAT router will use DHCP and assign itself as the DNS server, and forward DNS queries to the ISP DNS server (which it learns about from PPP connection to the ISP).

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby behnam » May 27 14 10:59 pm

thanks for your replay

i have set 4.2.2.1 in my lan adapter and dns client automatically bring it to itself

server: 4.2.2.1 origin: os usage: internet

as you know when dns client has a bad configuration,an error will popup in notification page and wingate sign (a blue circle on top left) blinking red
so i don't have this notification so i configured dns client as well ,am i right?

another thing is i use dsl modem as my router that it has configured to "automatically assign dns server "
even i try to set dns manually on my router to wingate ip address(192.168.1.60) but after that an error(socket error 10049) still exist

another thing is when i unchecked intercepting proxy radio box and its port (80), every things come good (no error)but clients do not use upstream proxy and connect directly to the internet
in this situation when i setup proxy in the client's browser (address:192.168.1.60 port:80) , an error will comes back

what can i do now?

thanks
behnam
behnam

Postby behnam » May 27 14 11:13 pm

another thing is when i enter ip address of a web site(for example google.com) in client's browser address bar(that doesn't need a dns server),that error(socket error 10049) will shows itself again.
behnam

Postby adrien » May 28 14 10:17 am

Hi

I would recommend turning on debug logging for the WinGAte DNS client (and set it to use its own log file). Then you will get more information about what is happening.

Those NXNAME errors reported may simply be related to the reverse lookups WinGate does on any IP of any client that connects to it, so this is normal for when a LAN client connects, and doesn't necessarily imply there is a problem. it's only if you get lookups that you expect to work that fail that indicates an issue.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby behnam » May 28 14 5:16 pm

hi dear Adrien

finally i find out what i'm doing wrong

in www proxy service and in connection tab i set upstream proxy. i use 'nextvpn' software that has inet, tunnel and ssl protocols(you choose on of them) for connecting to the proxy server and it use a portable proxifier in itself. my proxy service provider told me if you want a program use proxy for connecting to the internet you should enter these setup on that program:
type:http,ssl ip:127.0.0.1 port:8080 username and password
but it seems to wingate has problem with this configuration
and what i'm doing was

1.install 'ccproxy'
2.enter these configuration in it( proxy cascading)
3.enter ccproxy local ip and its port in connection tab of www proxy servies in wingate

and every things go fine

AND now my question is:

WHY I CAN'T OPEN SOME WEBSITES (SUCH AS FACEBOOK.COM) ON THE CLIENTS ?
the error is '302 moved temporarily'
i checked intercepting proxy radio box and enter port 80 and checked its radio box
and now tell me what should i do?

thank you so so much

Behnam
behnam

Postby adrien » May 28 14 5:22 pm

Hi

so how many proxy servers are you using?

Connecting to 127.0.0.1 means you're connecting to the same computer that the client is on. WinGate can run on that port, and normally that's no problem, but if you entered port 8080, that's not the default port of the WWW proxy - that's port 80.

requests to http version of Facebook does a redirect to https version of facebook.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby behnam » May 28 14 6:02 pm

as i know entering 127.0.0.1 means "wingate should redirects requests to proxifier".means : clients connect to the internet via wingate and next level is passing from proxifier

ccproxy has what ever i need , but the problem is it has not transparent proxy that your product has.
so what i'm donig is
i benefit transparency of wingate and cascading proxy of ccproxy
because entering 127.0.0.1, creates no problem for ccproxy for cascading proxy and it understand that must redirect requests to proxifier for connecting clients to internet but wingate has problem with that ip
finally what i can do that not using ccproxy and just use wingate
in other word how can i force wingate to redirect requests to proxifier for connecting clients to internet(what ip adress should i enter in upstream proxy) ?

please help me!!!

behnam
behnam

Postby behnam » May 28 14 7:40 pm

hi again Adrien

what is your idea about my last post?

please tell me

thanks

Behnam(i am persian and Behnam means: who that has the best fame )

what is the meaning of your name?
behnam

Postby adrien » May 29 14 12:54 pm

Hi

I don't think you need extra ccproxy in there. WinGate can connect through cascading proxy.

Proxifier - what is that? Normally that means some sort of software that intercepts outbound connections and diverts them through a proxy. But WinGate can already go through another proxy.

I'm still not sure what pieces you have in your network puzzle, and where they are. For instance, if you have an upstream proxy you are required to connect out from, WinGate can do that itself, with no need to install another 2 proxies (ccproxy and proxifier). WinGate can just make upstream connection via a proxy, using http CONNECT, or SOCKS.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby behnam » May 29 14 6:49 pm

hi Adrien

ccproxy is proxy server like your proxy server but the diffrence is it can't support transparency
proxifier is a software that you can set your proxy information in it(url,port,type,etc.). also you can define rules in it.
but it is hard to explaine, that my proxy provider company, brought to me some kind of proxy that only can be set on proxifier and only other software , should connect to proxifier for accessing proxy,NOT TO SETUP PROXY INFORMATION IN ITSELFS.(like wingate)

ok ,my proxy provider told me if you want other sofwares(like wingate) connect to the internet via proxy(connect via upstream proxy) , you should enter this setup in your software:

type:http,ssl ip:127.0.0.1 port :8080 username&password

now the point is: ccproxy proxy server can understand these configuration(it can use proxifier) but wingate can't.
because of this situation i have forsed to use ccproxy for cascading(upstream) and use wingate for transparency
and just enter ip(192.168.1.60 not 127.0.0.1) and port of ccproxy in wingate

every things go fine now
but the problem is , it seems to https websites does not support by wingate

what can i do now?

behnam
behnam

Postby adrien » Jun 03 14 12:17 pm

Hi

I think you will need to draw me a picture showing all the pieces, and where they are . What is on the same computer, what is on a different computer.

You should not need ccproxy or proxifier.

You should be able to just point the clients to WinGate, and WinGate to the internet. If there is another (e.g. corporate or ISP) proxy you must go through, WinGate can do that directly. You will need to provide details.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby adrien » Jun 03 14 12:19 pm

proxifier is a proxy client. Normally you shouldn't install this in the same computer as a proxy.

It could be useful on your client computers. But you only need this on a computer that has to connect via another proxy somewhere else.

Until you can tell me what the pieces are and where (and I think we will probably need a picture) then it's hard to help.

I still don't know if you have a corporate proxy you need to traverse.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate