network card crash

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

network card crash

Postby avb » Jul 01 14 10:41 pm

Hi,

I have a problem with wingate on a 2008 R2 Server x64bits. Sometimes , maybe 1 time a month my network internal card crash. I think it is cause by the Wingate Drivers installed on the network card.
The problem was the on my local machine with the wingate network drivers installed.
I upgrade to the last version at the moment. Have you got some explanations ?

Thank you.
avb

Re: network card crash

Postby avb » Jul 01 14 10:45 pm

I find a similar problem : viewtopic.php?f=12&t=51788
I have no DHCP service install with wingate.
avb

Postby intell » Jul 02 14 1:29 am

I have the same problem.

And:

If I reboot the Wingate server, everything is fine again. The wonky thing is if I try to disable and re-enable the local network adapter, it won't turn grey. If I try again a few times, it does turn grey, but then won't turn on again. If I now try to reboot the Wingate server it will be stuck at "Restarting ..." and I need to hit the reset button.

Exactly. If I try to disable/enable the network card, the server doesn't restart anymore. You can't touch the network card after that.

In my case after that bug the network card won't ping anything (even locally), and after some minutes windows generally get a BSOD.

That behavior is generally once a week. Only started after I installed Wingate. My system is a Windows 2008 R2 x64, HP Proliant Server.

adrien can you take a look in that? This is a very old bug, it happens to me since wingate 7. I can provide any logs you want.
intell

Postby avb » Jul 02 14 1:38 am

"Exactly. If I try to disable/enable the network card, the server doesn't restart anymore. You can't touch the network card after that.
In my case after that bug the network card won't ping anything (even locally), and after some minutes windows generally get a BSOD."

Yes. It is exactly what I have! Hope it will fix in the next upgrade.
avb

Postby Pierre Castelain » Oct 28 14 10:13 pm

I also have the same problem on Windows Server 2012 R2 with the latest Wingate version (8.2.5.4733).
From time to time, the network card crashes and cannot be restarted nor disabled and I need to reboot the server to make it available again.
The problem occurs only with the internal adapter (connected to my private network). The external card works well.
I tried to change the card with a completely different model but with no success.
Does someone have some hint to try to solve this problem?
Pierre Castelain

Postby adrien » Oct 29 14 1:40 pm

try disabling some advanced card options, such as

checksum offload
jumbo packets
chimney

Regards

Adrien de Croy
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby Pierre Castelain » Oct 29 14 9:47 pm

Ok, I have disable Checksum offload but I cannot find the other two options. I may have missed them because my system is in French and I don't know the translation of these terms.
By the way, changing the Checksum offload options was enough to crash the network card again. I had to reboot the server again.
Pierre Castelain

Postby Pierre Castelain » Oct 31 14 11:37 pm

Disabling Checksum offload has not helped. Things are even getting worse but I cannot be sure this is due to the option change. Yesterday, the card has crashed 5 times in a single day.
Can I do something to help understand the source of the problem? Because I don't know what to do to solve this situation.
Pierre Castelain

Postby ANaumenko » Apr 14 16 1:03 am

During this years is there any solution for this issue?

The situation is simply like topic starter described.
We had an server with Windows Server 2008R2 and Wingate 8.2 installed on it and sometimes (1-2 times a week) network card crashes and broke link until reboot.
This server has Intel NICs on TYAN motherboard and ENS drivers from Wingate installed.

Then we decided to upgrade server and bought brand new DELL R330 (it has Broadcom NICs), installed Windows Server 2012R2 and Wingate 8.5.7. And this situation is become even more bigger - Internal network NIC crashes for 5-10 times a day while ENS drivers installed on the system. Only reboot of the system helps.

We have tried to disable Checksum Offload, Jumbo Packets (this option was disabled by default) and Chimney but there was no effect after disabling.
ANaumenko

Postby MattP » Apr 14 16 9:35 pm

Hi,

Can you please turn off Flow Control (commonly recommended) and also Receive-Side Scaling and see if there is any improvement?

Thanks,

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby ANaumenko » Apr 15 16 11:11 pm

Hi Matt,

I've disabled Flow Control and RSS but it had any improvement in this situation.
Today in small server load (only 5 users accessing internet through this server - for testing purposes) network card crashed twice.

I've made some experiments to understand what a problem we've got, on of them was a copying files from/to server via internal network to my laptop using administrative disk share (\\server-name\D$) - network card crashes immediately as process started. If ENS driver disabled/uninstalled - everything ok.

May be this can be helpful to find an issue.

Best Regards,
Aleksey
ANaumenko

Postby adrien » Apr 21 16 8:46 pm

Hi

is this on a VM?

There are known issues with Broadcomm NICs on Dell servers using Hyper-V, you need to disable Virtual Machine Queues in the host platform.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby ANaumenko » Apr 22 16 8:25 pm

Hi Adrien,

No, this is firewall/gateway server and there is no Hyper-V enabled.

But on this card is DELL iDRAC working with another IP address but this functionality remain operational while NIC crashes in Windows environment. It's on basic management (w/o Enterprise license) and have no additional services installed on Windows Server. So I can only initiate cold reboot remotely for example
ANaumenko

Postby azeni » Apr 29 16 7:19 am

Having the same issue on a Dell box with 2 additional NIC's. Get a BSOD on a 64 bit driver and raised a support ticket. They asked for the dump and I sent it. Haven't had a response in days and I need to upgrade the machine. Can't have it dumping and rebooting all of the time. Are there any solution's out there?
azeni

Postby adrien » May 02 16 10:13 am

Just for the benefit of the watchers, this issue is being addressed in the support desk.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate