Wingate with Windows 10

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate with Windows 10

Postby s_schuh » Aug 14 15 12:28 pm

Hello,

I'm upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (64bit). Now the Status of the Extended Networking Services is "Not installed". How can i fix that issue to use NAT anyway?

Greetings,
Sascha.
s_schuh

Re: Wingate with Windows 10

Postby adrien » Aug 15 15 7:14 pm

Hi

I think you will need to rerun the WinGate installer to reinstall the driver.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby s_schuh » Aug 15 15 8:59 pm

Hello Adrien,

Thank you Adrien for the answer. I've already tried this. I have Wingate also uninstalled and reinstalled. Sorry, no change in the problem with the driver.

Greetings,
Sascha.
s_schuh

Postby s_schuh » Aug 19 15 12:58 am

Hello,

I solved the problem. The ENS driver installs itself not automatically when you install Wingate. I just installed the qbikhkvista.inf manually and it worked.

Greetings,
Sascha.
s_schuh

Postby Telmo » Aug 23 15 6:30 am

Hello,

I had the same problem after updating and I also installed the driver manually, thank you Sascha. However, on the control panel, extended networking tab, the status continues as"not installed" meaning that I cannot change any settings, even though the problem I initially had is resolved.

Can you please advise what I can do to correct this?

Thanks

Telmo
Telmo

Postby MattP » Aug 31 15 12:54 pm

Hi Telmo,

If you run the installer again and make sure that the driver is selected do you get access to the Extended Networking control panel?

Thanks,

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby GrahamElder » Sep 24 15 2:30 am

Hello all,

I have installed the latest version on Wingate on a Windows 10 Pro desktop for testing, and I'm seeing the same problem (ENS shows as 'Not Installed'). I have attempted to install the INF file and reinstall Wingate as suggested, but it is still not available.

Regards,
Graham
GrahamElder

Postby adrien » Sep 24 15 11:38 am

Hi Graham

we're working on a fixed version for this. The current installer doesn't recognise the version of the OS and so doesn't do several things, such as install the driver, and the Visual Studio 2010 runtime.

We have a build you can use if you like, let me know if you'd like a download link

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby GrahamElder » Sep 25 15 2:51 am

adrien wrote:Hi Graham

we're working on a fixed version for this. The current installer doesn't recognise the version of the OS and so doesn't do several things, such as install the driver, and the Visual Studio 2010 runtime.

We have a build you can use if you like, let me know if you'd like a download link

Regards

Adrien

Thank you for the update Adrien. If you could send me that link when you have time, I'll give it a try.

Graham
GrahamElder

Postby adrien » Sep 25 15 2:57 am

HI Graham

we just put it up on our site, so you can get to it from www.wingate.com

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby GrahamElder » Sep 25 15 3:04 am

Do you guys ever sleep!?
GrahamElder

Postby GrahamElder » Sep 25 15 3:32 am

adrien wrote:HI Graham

we just put it up on our site, so you can get to it from http://www.wingate.com

Regards

Adrien

I'm sorry - I'm still getting the problem where the ENS shows as 'Not installed'.

I performed a full deinstall of the previous version, rebooted and installed the new version with all relevant ticks in place.
I have also tried the manual install of the .INF file.

Regards,
Graham
GrahamElder

Postby adrien » Sep 25 15 9:49 am

HI Graham

Looks like we mostly sleep while writing code.

we did test that already but I'll double check on a fresh windows 10 VM image.

Thanks

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby adrien » Sep 25 15 6:51 pm

HI

found and fixed the issue, we released 8.5.1 to cover this and one other issue introduced in 5.0 that affects windows prior to 7 SP1.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby GrahamElder » Sep 26 15 12:03 am

That's a quick turnaround.....

I can confirm that the installation of 8.5.1 has resolved the issue. You can actually see the Extended Network driver install step taking place on the install progress screen.

Great work and many thanks,
Graham
GrahamElder

Postby kranitzw » Aug 08 16 5:15 pm

I have this same problem. I upgraded from Vista Business to Win 7 sp1 and now Wingate doesn't work any more. My Win7 is up to date and all drivers are current. The ENS driver is not installed. I have tried a complete uninstall and reinstall (using the latest release). No luck. Wingate installer doesn't install the Network driver or ask to reboot. ALL installer check boxes are checked. If I manually install the driver, Wingate works slightly. That is, the Activity panel shows the clients, but shows no activity and NO client has access to the internet. Any ideas how I could troubleshoot this???? Thanks.

Wes
kranitzw

Postby adrien » Aug 08 16 11:04 pm

HI Wes

so you ran an in=place OS upgrade from Vista to Windows 7? The same driver should have been used.

One thing that changed from Vista to Windows 7 was broadband adapters (e.g. 3g/4g). Are you using a mobile broadband adapter on that computer?

After you manually installed the driver though, it showed attached to the adapter?

I wonder if the Windows firewall rules need to be adjusted. You could try adding the Wingate.exe as an allowed application in the windows firewall.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby kranitzw » Aug 09 16 5:19 am

Adrien,

Yes, An in place upgrade.

No 3G/4G. Entirely hard wired. I turned off Windows firewall when I did this.

Now the weird thing is, it started working out of the blue. So that issue is solved, at least
for the time being. However, It would be interesting to know why it didn't install the
drivers automatically. Any information I can send you to help figure that out???

I do have an entirely off topic question. What's the difference between saving the settings
in the advanced tasks and saving the configuration using the configuration manager????

Thanks for the reply,

Wes
kranitzw

Postby adrien » Aug 09 16 2:34 pm

Hi

if it started working out of the blue, that makes me wonder if it was Network Location Aware service that was messing things up. It sometimes reclassifies interfaces as public vs domain or home, and that then applies a whole different set of firewall rules.

the difference in those 2 main back options. The configuration manager is an overhaul of the previous method, and deals with things like:

* migrating settings to a different folder, or different platform (e.g. 32 bit OS to 64 bit OS, deals with Program Files vs Program Files (x86) etc)
* stopping and starting the WinGate service so you get a consistent snapshot of the configuration (since it can be changing if WinGate is running).

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate