User log off wingate proxy also stop serving

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

User log off wingate proxy also stop serving

Postby royjm22 » Mar 17 16 11:56 pm

Hi,

my network scenario is one main DNS server with AD and DHCP and another one server is proxyserver for wingate proxy and the third server is for VPN connectivity i am facing two issues, number one is the wingate proxy server install in 2008 server and used as proxy server when the user logged off the proxy stop serving clients ,it seems that user should always logged in to work wingate proxy properly is there any option i want to to enable to work the proxy even the user logged off .the second is i want to put wingate proxy server as wpad in my DHCP server so please let me know the procedure and setting to add wingate proxy as wpad along with the specific IP proxy
royjm22

Re: User log off wingate proxy also stop serving

Postby adrien » Mar 18 16 12:27 am

HI

WinGate runs as a service since WinGate 2.0 in 1996.

So you're saying someone needs to be logged into the computer that WinGate is on, in order for WinGate to function?

To set WPAD option, it's normal to add it to global options in the DHCP server (rather than scope or reservation options). It's option 252, and you just provide a URL to the file.

Do you plan to serve the file from WinGate as well?
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby royjm22 » Mar 21 16 1:30 am

yes i can you please tell the url format and what are the details i want to put in that url , is there any extra setting needed in wingate server or not anyd if there any reporting tool in the wingate server to view the reports in wingate server ,before i used GFI webmonitor in that server there are lot of inbuilt reports and lot of real time traffic option are there but in wingate i am not able to find ant reporting tool or real time traffic monitor like bandwidth usage etc ....i am having professional license not enterprise license
royjm22

Postby MattP » Mar 23 16 7:15 pm

Hi,

In your DHCP server you'll edit option 252 to point to the location of the WPAD file. WinGate can automatically create the WPAD file, so if you enter the URL http://(IP address of your WinGate server)/wpad.dat the clients will find that.

WinGate does not contain any built-in reporting. You can use a third party log analyser to generate reports from the W3C log files in WinGate.

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby royjm22 » Mar 24 16 3:25 am

Can you please suggest any best reporting tool that i can use with wingate server
royjm22

Postby royjm22 » Mar 24 16 6:53 pm

How can i check WinGate automatically created the WPAD file or not and it is serving properly or not
royjm22

Postby MattP » Mar 24 16 7:59 pm

You can check the wpad file by typing the URL into your browser, e.g. http://192.168.0.1/wpad.dat, your browser should download the file and you can view it.

We often recommend Proxy Inspector or Sawmill Log Analyser, but there are a lot of reporting tools available.

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate