How to block IP in "Control Panel -> Data" ?

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

How to block IP in "Control Panel -> Data" ?

Postby bruce » Apr 13 16 4:40 pm

I added an IP address to a list, set Method to "exact match"
But it doesn't work, the IP can still be accessed.
What should I set? Thanks.
bruce

Re: How to block IP in "Control Panel -> Data" ?

Postby adrien » Apr 13 16 5:55 pm

Hi Bruce

the lists in Global data, are just lists which can be used for anything. You need to have some policy which uses that list for that purpose in order for that list to affect what IPs can connect.

Do you want to block that IP to everything (in which case just black hole it in Extended networking) or just some services? To block IPs from web access, you can use a web access rule, which would look something like:

Action: Deny
Who; everyone
Where: Select "only those IPs specified", then click the new item button, choose "Match against data list", then select your list"
What: everything
When: always

Then this rule will deny access to web for any IP in your list.

If you want to block other services, you would probably add a flow-chart policy (there is a sample one for TCP service: ClientConnect) which checks Session.ClientIp in that list, and if it matches disconnect the client.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby bruce » Apr 15 16 4:46 pm

Thanks, the Access Rules with IP as data actually works, users have to type the IP in browser's address bar to be blocked. I thought WinGate will block a website if the domain name's IP is in the list.

I've tried IP Blackhole and love its effect, user will not know what's going on and wait until timeout :) Why don't Access Rule has this option?
bruce

Postby adrien » Apr 16 16 7:39 pm

The IP in access rules is for the IP that the request is coming from, not the IP being connected to.

What are you trying to block?

Regards

Adrien de Croy
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby bruce » Apr 18 16 1:41 pm

I wanted to block a website, and loved the timeout effect of IP Blackhole, then I confused myself :)
I can block the website by name in a data list now, just without the timeout effect.
bruce

Return to WinGate