Wingate Standard licensing

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate Standard licensing

Postby ChadRA » Jun 21 16 3:25 am

Hi, you must have been expecting this question since the announcement of the free version concurrent connection increase from 3 to 10... why would anyone pay for the standard 6 license (or even 12) when the free version has the 10 concurrent now? Don't get me wrong, I think Wingate is a great product and I've been using a paid version of it for many years just to help support the development but if I can get more for free then... :-)

Thanks,
Chad.
ChadRA

Re: Wingate Standard licensing

Postby adrien » Jun 21 16 9:52 am

Hi Chad

yes, we've asked that question many times.

Basically most people won't have a need to purchase a smaller license. The potential reasons we see are;

* Someone needs to extend another license by say 6 users. Since paid licenses can be aggregated, but free ones cannot, this could be a reason.
* Someone wants to continue using WinGate 6.x - we have a surprising number of people in this category. The free license is only supported in WinGate 7.2 onwards.
* Someone just wants to give us money :)

We do post a warning when people add the 3 or 6 user standard license to the cart, warning they could get the free license instead.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby ChadRA » Jun 21 16 12:46 pm

So is it possible for me to remove the Standard 6 user license on my system and have it revert to the free 10 user license? Or does this involve a full un-install / re-install? I was hoping the paid licensing scheme would be updated where the 6 would become 12, 12 become 25, etc.

Thanks,
Chad.
ChadRA

Postby adrien » Jun 21 16 1:08 pm

Hi

Yes, you'd need to deactivate your 6 user license, and activate a 10 user free license.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate