Acess to devices using transparent proxy

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Acess to devices using transparent proxy

Postby sherinkapotein » Sep 04 16 1:33 am

I have been hunting for a solution to my problem, to which I found Wingate to be the nearest solution, but havent really figured it out yet.

I have my institute LAN (external netowrk) giving me access to internet through a proxy. I have my PCs wireless NIC setup as hotspot.
What i want to achieve is setup a wingate server on my PC such that it receives (definitely will as it is the hotspot) the data from the mobile devices/smart TV and forwards them to the appropriate upstream proxy. This way the mobile devices will not have to bother about the proxy settings.

Q1. Is this doable? My mobile clients will not be PCs with browsers but smartTV and older smartphones which do nnot have provision to enter proxy settings.

Others will follow :).

Thanks Adrian for your help on SO.
sherinkapotein

Re: Acess to devices using transparent proxy

Postby adrien » Sep 05 16 10:58 am

Hi

yes, you just need ot get WinGate to intercept the connections made by the clients.

For the clients to use WinGate as NAT you need:

a) WinGate driver installed (it's installed by default)
b) a default gateway on the WinGate computer
c) clients use WinGate's IP as their default gateway. they will need DNS resolution as well, which means you will probably need to also install WinGate's DNS server (Control Panel > Services)

Once a proxy is intercepting say port 80, then it can make a connection via an upstream proxy. Look in the connections tab in the proxy doing the intercepting of the ports. You can use WWW proxy, or even a TCP mapping proxy if you're not interested in anything more than just providing connectivity.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate