Questions about Wingate 6, Windows 2012 Server and DNS

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Questions about Wingate 6, Windows 2012 Server and DNS

Postby cn1234 » Oct 05 16 9:11 am

I have Wingate 6 installed on a PC running as the proxy. (Which so far is running without any problems) The 2 network cards are set as internal and external. We are now moving over to a Windows Server 2012 environment I have some questions.

I have also Windows Server 2012 running and in the install the DNS service was also installed.

At the moment the Wingate machine is running as the proxy server (users and settings have been setup and the client PC's all have internet access and everything is appearing to work correctly (Internet access/email works being the main thing)

The settings on the network card (client PC's) have been changed to the correct IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default gateway.) The preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server have also been entered (Preferred = Windows Server IP address and Alternate DNS as Wingate Server internal IP address.) (If I swapped these around when I added the client PC's to the domain it couldn't find the server. This again appears to be working correctly (I know this is Wingate forum but if I have this already wrong then someone please say) Now come the questions...

1) Should I add the WinGate PC to the Domain Controller (via Network ID on properties on My Computer) or will it confuse things? I haven't installed Windows Server 2012 AND Wingate on the same machine or doesn't it matter as it's running as an Internet Proxy?
2) I've read that you shouldn't have more than 1 DNS server running. At the moment Wingate is running and Windows Server 2012 with the DNS service (I assume also is running). Again no problems appear to show.
3) On Wingate under System tab there is a section called DNS/WINS resolver and there is an option to enter a DNS in. There isn't anything entered here. What do I enter in this section (Again all appears to work so do I need to?) The HOSTS checkbox is checked and from the first install the HOSTS file is kept updated with the IP and PC names.
4) When a client PC browsers the internet, looking at the activity screen there are many lines of AAAA DNS lookup..... appear. These do go but is it wrong that there are loads of these "AAAA lookup" appearing (Again has there been something setup incorrectly). We have seen some slowness of pages and timing out, but after a refresh the page loads.
5) If I make any changes, do I need to check under Internet Explorer, Firefox the proxy settings (manual proxy configuration) At the moment they are on Automatic and it works.
6) Do I add the routers DNS address anywhere?
7) Do I start again with Wingate even though it is appearing to work correctly and that a few settings here and there will make the programme work as it should?

The cache is emptied regularly and the DNS is purged and emptied weekly.

Many thanks for any help or suggestions
cn1234

Re: Questions about Wingate 6, Windows 2012 Server and DNS

Postby adrien » Oct 06 16 2:20 pm

Hi

1, should the WinGate computer be joined to the Active Directory: in general, if you want to auth to the proxy, and want to use domain credentials for this, then you would join it to the AD. This can also be helpful for administering the server, as then you can log into it with your domain creds etc. So normally it works out more convenient for it to be on the AD.

If the server is on the domain, then WinGate 7 and 8 will forward DNS requests to the correct place for domain-related lookups. WinGate 6 doesn't really know much about AD/domains.

2. No problem with multiple DNS servers, there can be with mulitiple DHCP servers.

3. Do the LAN adapter(s) on the WinGate computer have DNS servers specified? This shouldn't be empty or the proxy won't be able to resolve addresses.

4. AAAA lookups are from the IPv6 protocol installed on the clients. They try to lookup ipv6 addresses first. Basically this was IMO a design flaw when they invented DNS for IPv6, and effectively doubled the DNS traffic on the internet. Can safely ignore this, or remove/disable IPv6 from your clients.

5. Depends what you change... not sure how to answer this.

6. You mean the router's IP? Generally don't need router's hostname, the ip goes in the route table (default gateway), sometimes goes in as DNS server if it's doing DNS forwarding.

7. What problems are you seeing? It looks if anything like DNS. Probably your point 3.

Have you had a look at any more recent versions of WinGate? We're about to release WinGate 9, and a lot of issues have been resolved in the last 7 years.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Re: Questions about Wingate 6, Windows 2012 Server and DNS

Postby cn1234 » Oct 06 16 11:13 pm

Hi

1, should the WinGate computer be joined to the Active Directory: in general, if you want to auth to the proxy, and want to use domain credentials for this, then you would join it to the AD. This can also be helpful for administering the server, as then you can log into it with your domain creds etc. So normally it works out more convenient for it to be on the AD. Many thanks for this confirmation.

If the server is on the domain, then WinGate 7 and 8 will forward DNS requests to the correct place for domain-related lookups. WinGate 6 doesn't really know much about AD/domains. Many thanks for this confirmation.

2. No problem with multiple DNS servers, there can be with mulitiple DHCP servers. Many thanks for this confirmation.

3. Do the LAN adapter(s) on the WinGate computer have DNS servers specified? The external card does (192.168.1.254) but the internal card doesn't. Is this correct or should I change it?
This shouldn't be empty or the proxy won't be able to resolve addresses. Could you tell me what I should enter in this section? I assume it should have something entered?

4. AAAA lookups are from the IPv6 protocol installed on the clients. They try to lookup ipv6 addresses first. Basically this was IMO a design flaw when they invented DNS for IPv6, and effectively doubled the DNS traffic on the internet. Can safely ignore this, or remove/disable IPv6 from your clients. I have removed the checkbox from the IPv6 on the network card.

5. Depends what you change... not sure how to answer this. I mean can I just leave it on Automatically detect settings and/or shall I enter use proxy server checkbox and enter the address of the internal card and port 80

6. You mean the router's IP? Generally don't need router's hostname, the IP goes in the route table (default gateway), sometimes goes in as DNS server if it's doing DNS forwarding. On the external card the IP address starts 217.xx.xx.xx and the default gateway starts 217.xx.xx.xx, however, on the router, the IP address under TCP/IP settings they start with 81... and the default gateway also starts 81. Is there a problem here. Should they be changed to the 81 number on the card?

7. What problems are you seeing? It looks if anything like DNS. Probably your point 3. Many thanks for this confirmation.

Have you had a look at any more recent versions of WinGate? We're about to release WinGate 9, and a lot of issues have been resolved in the last 7 years. Many thanks for this confirmation I will look into this.
cn1234

Return to WinGate