I have no idea what I'm doing! PLEASE HELP.

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

I have no idea what I'm doing! PLEASE HELP.

Postby LiamB » Dec 15 16 11:42 pm

Ok, I want to connect my tv wirelessly to the Internet. This would be easy with a router but of course my router just died.
I have FTTP and so I've connected my laptop to the little black box in the garage and the Internet is working perfectly on my laptop. I did some googling and I have downloaded Wingate in the hope that I can use it to connect my TV to the household Internet. Am I wrong in thinking this is possible??

What I'm hoping is that I can use the Internet on my mobile to connect my Tv initially and then use Wingate to connect the tv the household Internet (because I'm a cheapskate and mobile data costs a sh*tload more than my fibre)

But now that I've downloaded Wingate to my laptop I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and even the guides I've found online are too complicated. I follow them right up until they say things like "generate certificate" all it says is full in info but I don't even know what my "Wingate server" is. I'm a total numpty so use the most absolute basic language please!
All your help is greatly appreciated
LiamB

Re: I have no idea what I'm doing! PLEASE HELP.

Postby MattP » Dec 16 16 8:01 am

Hi,

WinGate is ready to go for basic proxying after you've completed the installation. You can test that WinGate is working by setting your browser to use a proxy and entering the loopback address (127.0.0.1) for the proxy server, and port 80 for the port to connect on. Now you should be able to open a page on your browser and also see the activity on the activity panel in the WinGate console.

I'm assuming your router provided your wireless access point for your network? Without that, there won't be anything for your TV to connect to, unless you have some other wireless AP already running on your network. Once you can get your TV to connect to the laptop, everything should work fine.

Regards,

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate