IMAP keywords? (i.e. PERMANENTFLAGS \*)

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

IMAP keywords? (i.e. PERMANENTFLAGS \*)

Postby DarthGizka » Jan 13 17 3:05 am

Our users a clamouring for IMAP keywords support (user-definable permanent flags, a.k.a. "PERMANENTFLAGS \*") which is necessary for shared user-definable tags in Thunderbird, among other things. WinGate 8.3 doesn't seem to have that feature.

Do newer WinGate versions (i.e. 8.5.9 or 9.0) have it? If not, is it perhaps planned for the nearish future - say, over the course of this year? If not, is it possible to add user-definable permanent flags via the WinGate SDK?
DarthGizka

Re: IMAP keywords? (i.e. PERMANENTFLAGS \*)

Postby adrien » Jan 13 17 12:43 pm

Hi

we haven't had a request for user-defined permanent flags before.

Currently flags are stored in the index as bit fields, and so can only support 32 flags with fixed names.

What are these even used for? Filtering / searching etc?

If users are able to create their own flags, then there would be a good chance there would be more than 32, and so we'd need to change the way we store flags on a message from a compact / efficient bit field to a textual system which would create all sorts of problems for our index.

In a supporting system can a user set any number of user-defined flags? We may be able to do it as message metadata rather than putting it in the index. In all honesty though it would be a fairly low-priority feature to add.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate