64 bit windows and Wingate 9

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

64 bit windows and Wingate 9

Postby kranitzw » Jan 16 17 8:13 pm

So let me get this straight. According to the release notes, Wingate 9 only works on 64 bit windows?? So if
I'm not willing to spend a couple of weeks rebuilding the 32 bit windows 7 system that Wingate runs on
to a 64 bit Windows 7 system, I can just go get stuffed. That's too bad, cause I really liked Wingate, but
I guess I'll have to look elsewhere instead of renewing.

Wes
kranitzw

Re: 64 bit windows and Wingate 9

Postby adrien » Jan 16 17 9:12 pm

Hi

correct, WinGate 9 runs only on 64 bit windows.

I think persisting with 32 bit OSes has a lot of problems. We had support issues on 32 bit Windows we didn't see on 64 bit even when WinGate itself was a 32 bit program.

As for our side of it, there are a lot of things we couldn't easily do in WinGate if we had to maintain support for 32 bit. Very few people run Window 7/8 32 bit and it's practially impossible to purchase a computer for the last 10 years that doesn't support a 64 bit OS. I would expect people would only use 32 bit if they had special hardware that they couldn't get 64 bit drivers for. Memory tends to be quite restricted on 32 bit windows as well - more so than 32 bit Windows subsystem on 64 bit windows.

there are ways to upgrade Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit, it may not be as time consuming as you think.

You can also of course keep using WinGate 8.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby kranitzw » Jan 17 17 6:15 am

Adrien,

I understand your side of it, couldn't you have announced 6 month ago that Wingate 9 would
only work on 64 bit windows. My wife's a TAX Expert and here in the states, we're just starting
Tax season, as she call's it. It normally ends in April, but with extensions can go to October.
Had I known, I would have had November and December to rebuild and test it. I've looked
and can't find any announcements to this fact (except in the release notes).

ALSO, don't you think you should say that on the sales page, incase someone doesn't
go out and read the release notes before purchase??????

Wes
kranitzw

Postby adrien » Jan 17 17 9:06 am

Hi Wes

we did actually announce in our FB page a few months ago, although it seems not on these forums. We find not many people read the forums any more these days.

We do mention on the download page, but I agree it could be more prominent on the site. I'll get that addressed.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate