scheduled tasks

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

scheduled tasks

Postby cn1234 » Jan 20 17 9:22 pm

Can you run scheduled tasks that are set in GateKeeper outside the program? I have a plugin update that runs every 10 mins but I would like that to start when the pc is turned on and at the moment there is isn't an option for "at startup". Can they be run via batch that loads the scheduled tasks to run. I dont want to set the task every 1 min just at startup and then another task runs after that every 10mins.
cn1234

Re: scheduled tasks

Postby adrien » Jan 20 17 11:41 pm

Which version of WinGate is this?

WinGate 7 onwards (current is 9) has an event that fires when WinGate starts up, and you could use that to perform tasks that could also be done by a scheduled event.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby cn1234 » Jan 21 17 4:32 am

Many thanks for the reply. It's version 6.6.4. You have answered my question however. Upgrade time me thinks :)
cn1234

Postby cn1234 » Jan 21 17 12:43 pm

Just out of interest, does Kaspersky for WinGate 6 update its definitions automatically first time regardless of a task set to run it at first run of the OS booting up? Just wondered if the engine runs at startup and then the client PC's go onto the net before it has updated then there could be a vulnerability as it doesn't have the latest updates (PC's do have separate Antivirus installed anyway but just want to check) What would you recommend task wise? Stop a service, run a plugin update, start a service etc or is it better to have a task update every x mins as it does at the moment?
cn1234

Postby adrien » Jan 24 17 9:38 am

Hi

when updating an existing signature database, this can be done without loss of service.

However on initial update of Kaspersky AV (after install) there won't be any scanning done until it's updated so you're correct there is a window of time where clients could download things.

With WinGate 6 the updating mechanism is quite different (Plugins dialog, choose plugin, select update). I'm not 100% sure any more (it's been 8 years) whether it does it automatically after an install or whether you have to manually trigger the update. With WinGate 7 and later it does it automatically

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate