IGMP behind wingate

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

IGMP behind wingate

Postby ngrayson » Feb 10 17 12:19 am

I'm posting this in the hope someone else (QBIK or end user) has solved the problem or tells me it cant be.

I have a netgear nighhawk D7000 connected from the Gbe switch to a dual homed windows 7 machine running wingate. Effectively its a DMZ to the integrate machine and the internal Lan from there on.

I recently subscribed to BT Vision which has a settop box. When connected to a spare port on the Nighthawk this works fine but I want it behind wingate if I can.

Wingate has no apparent native support for IGMP proxy but I did find a link on an MS site which suggests that you can make windows 7 receive and transmit IGMP https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/0d0da348-3b8b-4790-8aa2-60740a02536f/windows-7-and-igmp-multicast?forum=w7itpronetworking

I have even tried adding a route on the DMZ adapter for multicast directly to the second interface and a return path from the LAN to the DMZ.

WIth the Settop box connected to the router I can log into the router and use TCPDUMP to see whats going on between the two. If I then connect the unit on the LAN side of my wingate machine and using wireshark I can see on the LAN side the IGMP from the box and on the DMZ interface I see the IGMP from the router. Neither is egressing the opposite interface so the either wingate or windows 7 is swallowing the multicast instead of relaying it. I have read conflicting opinions on whether or not Multicast on 224.0.0.X and 239.0.0.x is even routable.

Its frustrating because the BT on demand player works in both situations but the internet channels I subscribe to don't.

If anyone has any ideas I will gladly entertain them or if I solve it I'll post the solution. I do have a backstop which is to put another gbe switch in my patch cupboard which would allow it to operate in the DMZ but I don't really want to do that if I can avoid it.
ngrayson

Re: IGMP behind wingate

Postby ngrayson » Feb 11 17 6:52 am

Update:

Given in.... Could not find a way to do this but I cant be alone so would urge anyone who does have a clue to post.

My solution. Well the router was a connected by a point to point link to the wingate machine. I have simply put a 5 port Netgear switch in the DMZ. The draw back is I have to be careful as the wall socket this connects to is alongside connections on the safe ( or green) side of Wingate.
ngrayson

Postby adrien » Feb 11 17 9:32 am

Hi Neil

sorry I didn't get a chance to look into this before now.

WinGate's network driver doesn't have any explicit support for IGMP. It comes down to the routes in the system whether WinGate will forward a packet or not (as a router).

Multicast support is different again, and for outbound packets from the host, the driver passes all multicast packets through without touching them.

Inbound is not clear though, I'd need to do some more research.

Are you able to see if the inbound multicast packets are making it up higher than the WinGate driver? E.g. hitting the TCP/IP stack? There may be some statistics you can get TCP/IP to show which would indicate this.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby ngrayson » Feb 22 17 2:14 am

Adrien,

Sorry for the delay. Even after following the Registry hack I cannot see any counters relating to IGMP and since I looked Work seems to have got in the way but I will set aside some time to look at this after the wifes Birthday this week. Before would be suicide.
ngrayson

Return to WinGate